Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tilt Refractometer  (Read 5448 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Tilt Refractometer
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 10:27:25 am »
As I recall from their website, the battery life is estimated at 12 months. Hopefully, that's true.

Umm you do know you can replace the battery right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know the battery can be replaced. I was thinking more about having to re-calibrate the unit more often than once a year.

Oh gotcha - wasn’t sure with how you worded your response.

I recalibrate it every time to be honest

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 04:53:53 am »
As I recall from their website, the battery life is estimated at 12 months. Hopefully, that's true.

Umm you do know you can replace the battery right?

Yeah, I know the battery can be replaced. I was thinking more about having to re-calibrate the unit more often than once a year.

Oh gotcha - wasn’t sure with how you worded your response.

I recalibrate it every time to be honest

When you calibrate before each use, do you use water?

Thinking back to the comments by DMTaylor regarding calibrating the Tilt not only in water but in wort at various gravities. I can see where his process would possibly give the device more data points to work with but having to do that every time the battery is replaced would be tedious.

I usually re-calibrate my stuff each time I use it and if just re-calibrating the Tilt to 1.000 each time gives sufficient accuracy, that's what I'd do as well.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 07:17:28 am »
As stated above, under normal use the battery is generally replaced once a year. Going thru the various steps each brewday may be laborious but once a year ain’t too bad.

On brewday, I just take a hydrometer sample of the wort and set the Tilt to what the hydrometer indicates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 04:23:48 am »
As stated above, under normal use the battery is generally replaced once a year. Going thru the various steps each brewday may be laborious but once a year ain’t too bad.

On brewday, I just take a hydrometer sample of the wort and set the Tilt to what the hydrometer indicates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I like this idea.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan