Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: R𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗭𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮 𝟯𝟱𝗟 𝗩𝟯.𝟭 (𝟭𝟭  (Read 6094 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
𝗕𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗭𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮 𝟯𝟱𝗟 𝗩𝟯.𝟭 (𝟭𝟭𝟬𝗩)

First off, this isn't a "set it and forget it" system like the Zymatic or PicoZ. You still have to brew on it and monitor it. But it makes the brewday a lot faster and easier. It is also not technically an all in one system as you will still need to bring your sparge water to temp in a separate vessel (I used my kitchen stove and a large stock pot) I chose the 35L version because 1) I wanted to brew on a 5-6 gallon set up (you could probably brew up to 7 gallons on this) and 2) I wanted a 110V (the 65L is 220).

Brewday was actually very easy, I brought my temp up to "close to" strike temp (165) and doughed in. I used the standard 1.25X(lb of grain) and quickly realized that the system took up more water than I expected. I added cold pre-made water (distilled with additions of CaCI2 and CaSO4) and simply let the mash come to temp on it's on. I ended up using 2 extra gallons of water, so not sure what the dough-in ratio is for this thing. IN the end it didn't really matter I knew how much water I used so the calculations for Sparge water wouldn't change. It came to temp very quickly using only the 500W element (this has separate 500 and 1000W elements.)

The temp on the bottom of the mash is going to be different (at first) than the temp at the top because of the elements. I had to adjust the bottom temp to 152 to get the mash to even out at about 150. On hind sight I probably should have stirred a few times to get the temp more homogeneous. But it wasn't an issue really. The recirc worked very well, and held the temp for an hour no problem. You do have to slow the output of the pump with a valve to make sure the pump doesn't outspeed the lauter or you will have an overflow and screw up your batch. But once you have it even it's a sinch. The top screen works very well at distributing the return vorlauf and the wort clears up quickly and beautifully. See in the pics.

This is basically a mechanized "brew-in-a-bag" concept so if that method concerns you this isn't for you. You have to pull the "malt pipe" up from the bottom and lauter into the kettle. You can hear the wort dripping into the kettle - if you are a low DO fanatic this will bother you. But OTOH the clarity of the wort seems to remove almost all the chaff and malt pieces and potential lipids and such - you could always add a little sodium bicarbonate to the mash if it concerns you. Doesn't concern me FYI.

One thing this really needs to have out of the box is a sight glass. If you do your calculations and know your grain absorption this isn't really going to be much of an issue I recon but you can not see the wort level without taking the malt pipe out. My calculations were off by about a half gallon so I had to take the malt pipe out, check level, replace malt pipe and run another 1/2 gallon sparge. I will modify a sight glass before my next brew.

I ran the recirc as it came up to a boil. The cool thing is I set the system to 202 and went and took a nap (lol) when I got up it was ready to go and was boiling within 10 minutes. SO I'm not sure how long it would take to go from 150-212 yet (I didn't mash-out). I'm guessing 30 minutes or so.

I had to run both elements to keep a steady boil. My efficiency was about 80%. I was concerned about the chiller at first but it went from 212 to 75 in about 20 minutes or less. I was able to use the pump to WP during the chilling process.

Clean up was a breeze, for the most part everything just hosed right off. There was some normal gunk stuck to the bottom where the elements are located but no scorching. I was able to scrup it right off, everything else came off with the hose. I recriced some TSP Sub and oxiclean mixture through the pump and recirculation arm and that was it. Packed it all away.

There are definitely some pros and cons of this system.

Pros:
• Higher than expected efficiency
• Boil and heat times sufficient
• Internal pump works great
• Multiple screen system works like a champ leaving very clear vorlauf (see pic) and capturing most of the hops/trub. You could probably let sit longer to remove more after chilling.
• Bottom elements work more like a burner as opposed to elements submersed in the wort which cake and sometimes scorch and are harder to clean.

Cons:
• My biggest concern is there isn't a way to replace the elements if they go bad. Apparently the prior versions had circuit boards that fried regularly however these are replaceable and is supposed to be addressed in V3.1. I haven't seen any complains of actual bad elements so maybe it isn't a real concern.
• 110V needs both elements to boil at 6.5 gallons.
• Takes a little while longer to get mash temp to set evenly than I expected - of course I didn't stir while it came to temp so that probably solves this.
• Kettle lid not notched to sit around chiller
• Needs legitimate sight glass
• Display is difficult to read unless you bend down - would have been nice if they had angled it up.

Holding Temp (took about 20 min to even out but I did not stir after initial dough in)

Super clear vorlauf!!!

Here's the malt pipe raised for sparge/lauter (unit not in use here)

Full boil - it needed both elements to roil

Whirlpool and chill

Racking to fermentor with internal pump

Super fast and easy cleanup - the caked on trub came off with the abrasive back of a sponge.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Looks great. I agree a site glass would be a great addition.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here

IIRC you have the GrainFather? How does this look to compare?

Offline tommymorris

IIRC you have the GrainFather? How does this look to compare?
It sounds very similar. The Grainfather comes with a counter flow chiller. I actually don’t really like the CFC though. It’s not that much faster and since wort goes through it has to be thoroughly cleaned. Immersion chillers can be rinsed with a hose and put away. They are easy to sanitize by just placing them in the wort a few minutes before flameout.

I can’t decide what is best a flush controller like on your Brewzilla or the Grainfather that sticks out but has Bluetooth and can be controlled by and app or with buttons.

I agree it would be nice to be able to replace the heating elements. But, I don’t think they are the most likely part to fail. I think the most likely part to fail is the controller. The Grainfather controller can be replaced (for a pretty penny).

Offline ynotbrusum

Sounds like a solid system with a few quirks that you will overcome with repeated use. Thanks for the review.

Anybody out there considering the Foundry by Anvil?  It seems comparable, but has two wall construction with insulation sandwiched between for thermal efficiency and it allows conversion to 220 volt use....

I am looking into a Christmas toy to suggest to my wife, since she says she never knows what to get me...or for my son who would likely brew more often, if he could brew indoors near the stove vent in the winter....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Tommy - I definitely prefer the IC over the CFC for ease of cleaning and sanitizing. Blue tooth would be nice and I definitely would prefer a better mounting for the control panel. You have to hunch over to read it unless the system is set up on a higher surface. Overall though I'm very happy and can't wait to brew on it again, hopefully this week!

Offline BittCloud

• 1st Kit
I have found that there is very little difference between using heated sparge water and just hot tap water.  But i have embraced a pretty laid back approach so it might not be for everyone.  I also have pretty excellent water in Saint Paul.

Offline tommymorris

I have found that there is very little difference between using heated sparge water and just hot tap water.  But i have embraced a pretty laid back approach so it might not be for everyone.  I also have pretty excellent water in Saint Paul.
I have always wanted to try that but the heated water is up a flight of stairs. It’s easier for me to put a pot of water on the induction cooktop and let it slowly heat during the mash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I have always wanted to try that but the heated water is up a flight of stairs. It’s easier for me to put a pot of water on the induction cooktop and let it slowly heat during the mash.

Even room temp or cool water is OK.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I'm gonna have the 70L Grainfather here pretty soon for a test run.  Should be interesting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

Sounds like a solid system with a few quirks that you will overcome with repeated use. Thanks for the review.

Anybody out there considering the Foundry by Anvil?  It seems comparable, but has two wall construction with insulation sandwiched between for thermal efficiency and it allows conversion to 220 volt use....

I am looking into a Christmas toy to suggest to my wife, since she says she never knows what to get me...or for my son who would likely brew more often, if he could brew indoors near the stove vent in the winter....

I bought the Anvil Foundry 10.5 gal.  Haven't used it yet but picked it for the reasons you mentioned, plus I didn't have to buy it with a built in pump since I have one.  Will let you know when I get around to using it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
I brewed on it again yesterday - Hefeweizen 60% wheat. I did use a pound of rice hulls. Everything ran super smooth. I started at 111 for a ferulic acid rest and ramped up from there, even mashed out at 168. I started at about 9:30 and was done by 5 ... even managed to pick my wife up at the airport on time!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Any more details on your brewday schedule? I'm thinking about getting one of these or the Anvil Foundry, but I'm a little concerned about the brew day length. Thinking about upgrading to one of these now that I've got a kid on the way.

Offline ynotbrusum

If you have access to a 220 circuit, the Foundry can be switched to the higher voltage, but the Brewzilla can be ordered as 220, if I remember correctly.  I will likely use 120 and the timer function to have strike water ready when I get to mash in, be that morning or later in the day.  I am hoping that the ramp up from mash to boil is an hour or less.

Step mash will be for the longer brew days, but not totally abandoned.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Any more details on your brewday schedule? I'm thinking about getting one of these or the Anvil Foundry, but I'm a little concerned about the brew day length. Thinking about upgrading to one of these now that I've got a kid on the way.

I haven't been in a hurry but it doesn't seem like it is taking me very long. I was able to ramp up from 111 top 150 in what felt like fairly quickly. this system does come with 220 but I didn't want to pay to have a 220 outlet and I wanted to be able to brew wherever I wanted. I'll likely brew on it again early next week and I'll try to get some more precise times.