Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: R𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗭𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮 𝟯𝟱𝗟 𝗩𝟯.𝟭 (𝟭𝟭  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Thomas Musante

• 1st Kit
So I am considering the 35L for apartment brewing... Currently using a Pico C to do manual brews but I want to brew larger batches.  One item that someone was telling me is that I might have issues brewing higher ABV beers like Imperial Stouts.  Is this something any of you guys have experienced?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
If you can’t fit all the grain in the mash you could add some DME in the boil to reach your higher OG. Unless you are constantly making XXX beers I wouldn’t let the occasional brew stop me from a 90% solution. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
If you can’t fit all the grain in the mash you could add some DME in the boil to reach your higher OG. Unless you are constantly making XXX beers I wouldn’t let the occasional brew stop me from a 90% solution. YMMV.

Yep, i used to do that all the time and had great results. you can also just make a smaller batch (3-4 gallons). i believe you could safely brew up to 1.100 on my system at 4-5 gallons (according to "Can I Mash It) - https://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Offline BrewBama

Good calculator. I read a lot of Ken Schwartz when first staring out. His calculations helped me better understand the batch sparge process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Good calculator. I read a lot of Ken Schwartz when first staring out. His calculations helped me better understand the batch sparge process.

I fed Ken my data to help him develop those. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

I recall you saying that yrs ago. I sure appreciate it!  My brewing, underneath it all, is still based on those calculations.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

I recall you saying that yrs ago. I sure appreciate it!  My brewing, underneath it all, is still based on those calculations.

And I found that a lot of them just didn't apply to me for whatever reason. I developed my own numbers and methods, but based on Ken's methods.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

FWIW, I know of several homebrewers that max out their system on certain 5 gallon recipes, so they sub in DME to get the style and flavor that they want...and at least one of them is highly regarded as an NHC medalist.  You can make it work in several different ways.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Someone asked for a better guideline to how long the brew ay takes. Only my third time using it today and I did not have my strike water preheated (which would have saved 1 hr 15 min to get from 50-170 degrees. I doughed in at 9:30 and was knocking out at 2:30 so not bad. I also managed to rack three beers and clean 2 cornies and 2 fermentors (one batch got racked into a clean fermentor ontop of last seasons muscadines that I had frozen).

I wasn't in a hurry and this is for the 110V system.

I mashed for 90 minutes because of some kickups I had brewing, just minor user error stuff.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Brewed a dunkelweizen on the BrewZilla today. 50% dark wheat no lautering issues got 80 efficiency. Didn't use rice hulls. Put my water in the unit at 6:45am and was running off to the fermentor at noon.

I did have a weird issue with the pump getting clogged which scared me for a second. I had to blow into the line coming off the pump to clear it, which was a little scary since there was 5.5 gallons of boiling wort I was blowing into. But once cleared it worked fine and I managed not to burn myself!

Anyway, still loving brewing on this and has made brewdays a lot faster and easier.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
80% efficiency is a pretty good. Glad you have fun brewing again.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
I have had my Robobrew 3 since last June and have brewed 7 batches on it and I am very pleased with the system. In 10 yrs of brewing I have done it all from extracts to steeping grains, to BIAB, traditional all grain, to using a simple HERMS...I really just wanted to simplify my process and this has it all in one package. I brew slightly smaller batches and I brew full volume mash, no sparge which saves me time and a step there. I love being able to set up the delayed start and have the strike water ready for me when I get up in the morning, pour some coffee and dough in. Efficiency with the no sparge is 70%, time and effort needed is really reduced from my past methods and the beers speak for themselves.