Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water salts  (Read 1043 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Water salts
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »
I think I've read on the forum in the past about adding all of the water salts to the mash. Am I correct in assuming that all salts mean both sparge water and mash water salts go into the mash water at once?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Water salts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:13:17 pm »
Adding to both mash and sparge water is not required, but there are many approaches to mineral additions. The main thing is to attain at least 40 ppm calcium in the mash and any other additions can be added anywhere.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:55:40 am »
To add to Martin's comments, I add the mash salts to the mash.  I also calculate the difference between the mash liquid volume and the kettle full volume and add the "sparge" salts to the kettle when full.

For example, if I have 8 gallons of mash liquor and the kettle full volume is 13 gallons, I calculate the additions for 5 gallons of water and add those to the kettle.  I leave out the salts like Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) and pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide) from the kettle addition just like Bru'n Water specifies for the sparge water. I don't use chalk (Calcium Carbonate) anymore because it is too hard to dissolve.  Hope this helps a bit more!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:24 am »
To add to Martin's comments, I add the mash salts to the mash.  I also calculate the difference between the mash liquid volume and the kettle full volume and add the "sparge" salts to the kettle when full.

For example, if I have 8 gallons of mash liquor and the kettle full volume is 13 gallons, I calculate the additions for 5 gallons of water and add those to the kettle.  I leave out the salts like Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) and pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide) from the kettle addition just like Bru'n Water specifies for the sparge water. I don't use chalk (Calcium Carbonate) anymore because it is too hard to dissolve.  Hope this helps a bit more!
Adding to both mash and sparge water is not required, but there are many approaches to mineral additions. The main thing is to attain at least 40 ppm calcium in the mash and any other additions can be added anywhere.

Thank you guys! I have a better understanding now.