Author Topic: Pete B  (Read 762 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
Pete B
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
Hi everyone
I just wanted to say hi to those who remember me and introduce myself to those who don’t. I used to be here quite a bit from 2014-2017 I believe. I have not been brewing much the past couple of years due to busyness mostly. Mostly good stuff: doing a lot of work to improve our land for growing more food, home improvements and other interests, mostly food related.
I thought I would come back here for inspiration to start brewing regularly again. I make a lot of mead and, in good apple years, cider. For beer I have a typical cooler mash tun set up. I made a kegerator with two taps and both keg and bottle.
My main obstacle, especially for brewing beer, is that I don’t have a dedicated space so have to drag everything outside through the house from the cellar. I live in Barre Ma so winter stops me as I can’t run a hose. My wife and I are seriously considering building a barn with a brewery and possibly a commercial kitchen. That would be huge.
I have been making mead since I met my wife in 2007 (she has been a mead maker since the 90s) and brewing beer since 2009.
Right now I have 20 gallons of cider fermenting that I got from a friend who runs a local orchard. Four five gallon batches that I am doing different things to: one wild ferment, one with crabapple, one hopped, etc. I also just extracted 50 pounds of honey from our hives and will be starting some mead soon.
I will likely be posting quite a bit in the food and gardening threads. I cooked professionally for many years and since I no longer cook professionally I live for cooking and growing food. We have an outdoor clay oven we built and stone grill and have large vegetable and herb gardens, a small orchard an bees. I don’t consider brewing a separate hobby but rather part of this larger hobby.
Cheers,
Pete
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Re: Pete B
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »
Sounds like a fascinating life Pete. I look forward to seeing your posts. Welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
Welcome back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »
Good to see you.  I'm kind of in the same boat, and just bought the Anvil Foundry to use indoors for 5 gallon batches to hopefully get me back into it.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
I remember you! You're a fellow Bay Stater. Good to hear from you; as I remember you had a lot to add to the discussion. Welcome back.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
Look forward to seeing some recipes.  Good luck with the homestead!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Welcome back, Pete!

I’ll always remember your cyser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 11:38:54 PM »
Welcome back, Pete!

I’ll always remember your cyser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Matt, hope you are well. Those home brew swaps were fun, honored you remember my cyser. Got 10 gallons of trad mead from our own honey finishing up the ferment now with d47, a raspberry mead with 71b and a strong spiced elderberry with RC212. Waiting on the large fermenter to get a mixed berry going.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 12:10:33 AM »
Welcome back, many of us are still here.  I've never made mead. Maybe I need to make my first one..
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Hi Pete!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell