Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next steps after overpitch  (Read 152 times)

Offline brrzack

• 1st Kit
Next steps after overpitch
« on: February 09, 2024, 01:57:11 pm »
My batches are 3G, and I spund the CO2 from my 5G keg fermenter into a 3G keg to purge. Usually I hear a lot of activity while fermenting, along w/ seeing the pressure build via the spund's regulator. This time there was no pressure in either keg after 3 days, so instead of being wise and taking a gravity reading, I pitched the other half of the sachet of ale yeast and moved it somewhere warmer. About five more days went by with no pressure, and I got grumpy. Still without taking a reading, I pitched half a sachet of Lager 34/70 at 70F w/ the plan to move it somewhere cooler when it took off.

Waited another two days, and still no CO2 pressure even when I pulled the release valve. Mad, I opened up the keg (yes, shoulda used a tap) and saw some light bubbling, not 'krausen' and no ring around the keg to show there had been any krausen, but it was enough of a hint to finally do the right thing and take a sample - it's at my FG!
Lesson-- rely on gravity readings to determine gravity, not CO2, 'sound' or other weird indicators.

It's sitting at ~65F, and still no pressure is building. Anywho, is there a question here?
The RDWHAHB instinct would be to let it sit for another week at this temp bc that can't hurt
The pressure-ferment instinct is to add CO2 to stop the 34/70 from getting too estery, but if it's hit FG then that's not a prob, right?
The drinker's instinct is to crash it now that it's hit my FG
Thoughts for a noob? This is like my 6th brew and I probably still suffer from rushing the ferment.

Style is a Light beer- 6-row w/ Melon/Nelson hops ~4.33% (I always brew light beers so idk why this fermented so softly)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Next steps after overpitch
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 02:02:36 pm »
My batches are 3G, and I spund the CO2 from my 5G keg fermenter into a 3G keg to purge. Usually I hear a lot of activity while fermenting, along w/ seeing the pressure build via the spund's regulator. This time there was no pressure in either keg after 3 days, so instead of being wise and taking a gravity reading, I pitched the other half of the sachet of ale yeast and moved it somewhere warmer. About five more days went by with no pressure, and I got grumpy. Still without taking a reading, I pitched half a sachet of Lager 34/70 at 70F w/ the plan to move it somewhere cooler when it took off.

Waited another two days, and still no CO2 pressure even when I pulled the release valve. Mad, I opened up the keg (yes, shoulda used a tap) and saw some light bubbling, not 'krausen' and no ring around the keg to show there had been any krausen, but it was enough of a hint to finally do the right thing and take a sample - it's at my FG!
Lesson-- rely on gravity readings to determine gravity, not CO2, 'sound' or other weird indicators.

It's sitting at ~65F, and still no pressure is building. Anywho, is there a question here?
The RDWHAHB instinct would be to let it sit for another week at this temp bc that can't hurt
The pressure-ferment instinct is to add CO2 to stop the 34/70 from getting too estery, but if it's hit FG then that's not a prob, right?
The drinker's instinct is to crash it now that it's hit my FG
Thoughts for a noob? This is like my 6th brew and I probably still suffer from rushing the ferment.

Style is a Light beer- 6-row w/ Melon/Nelson hops ~4.33% (I always brew light beers so idk why this fermented so softly)

Just pretend you didn't pitch the extra yeast and do what you'd do otherwise. That amount of extra yeast at the point you pitched it will make no difference. Carry on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell