Author Topic: Aquarium Chiller for Fermentation Temp Control  (Read 149 times)

Offline BittCloud

• 1st Kit
Aquarium Chiller for Fermentation Temp Control
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
I have been looking to move on from my mini fridge as a temp control and stumbled onto Aquarium Chillers.  Which look like there might just be able to handle the temperature range and are cheaper than the available glycol chillers.

link to the chillerhttps://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-Chiller-1-10-HP/dp/B000W4S45C/ref=sr_1_44?keywords=chiller&qid=1573084797&sr=8-44

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: Aquarium Chiller for Fermentation Temp Control
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:21:38 AM »
I’ve been looking at this alternative, too.  It should work fine, but chills only to 37F, so it limits the bottom end cold crash a bit....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BittCloud

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »
I’ve been looking at this alternative, too.  It should work fine, but chills only to 37F, so it limits the bottom end cold crash a bit....
you could always do a second cold crash in your keg and just pitch the first pint.  That is usually what i do anyways.

Offline chinaski

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
Looks like a pretty cheap aquarium chiller- not sure how long it would last.  Better aquarium chillers cost twice as much; the only real difference between them and glycol chillers is the liquid that circulates through it, and it requires a pump to circulate the liquid.