Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: In over my head?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Bitter Mike

• 1st Kit
In over my head?
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:24:35 pm »
I might need a forum targeted at rookies. Is there a place to post very basic home brew kit questions? It just seems like everyone is talking about their own raw materials and my questions would be too simple. Like, best method for clearer beer when not using filters. Best method to bottle and avoid sediment. Are these okay in the general or are they too simple?

We're on our third batch.

Bitter Mike
Please be easy with me. I'm a rookie. Brewing my third batch now.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: In over my head?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:23:19 am »
If you have the ability to cold crash the beer, your beer will be clearer. If you can get the beer down to near freezing temperatures for a few days to a few weeks it will help to settle the sediment.
Dan Chisholm

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:21 am »
I might need a forum targeted at rookies. Is there a place to post very basic home brew kit questions? It just seems like everyone is talking about their own raw materials and my questions would be too simple. Like, best method for clearer beer when not using filters. Best method to bottle and avoid sediment. Are these okay in the general or are they too simple?

We're on our third batch.

Bitter Mike
Just post your questions in whichever section seems appropriate. Someone will answer you. Everyone here started at the beginning. We've all been there.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 06:07:33 am »
You’re in the right place to learn about the art of brewing, regardless of what type of brewing you do.

Clearing beer actually is achieved using several different methods.  “Fining” is a method used while the wort is in the kettle.  There are many different products used for Fining.  Basically, the fining product helps to clear proteins which causes beer to be hazy when chilled.  All that said, as beer ferments, yeast and hop residue settle naturally to the bottom of your fermentation vessel and this settling continues in the bottle.

In any case, all your questions will be answered in this forum.  I have been part of many forums and this forum seems to have the most knowledgeable participants.

Good luck and happy brewing!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 09:12:54 am »
The process of "fining" is not only done in the kettle. While the use of Whirfloc and Irish Moss (isinglass) are used in the kettle there is also the use of silica gel or gelatin which is done after fermentation usually at packaging which is also considered fining.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:49:11 am »

The process of "fining" is not only done in the kettle. While the use of Whirfloc and Irish Moss (isinglass) are used in the kettle there is also the use of silica gel or gelatin which is done after fermentation usually at packaging which is also considered fining.

Just a quick correction, Irish moss is not isinglass. 

Irish moss is unrefined carrageenan, the raw material from which Whirlfloc is refined, used in the kettle to help precipitate the cold break after chilling. 

Isinglass is a form of collagen, which, like gelatin, is used in the fermenter or cask to settle yeast.  (Silica gel is used, especially in cask ales, in advance of isinglass to enhance its performance.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 02:19:21 pm »
About the only thing I haven't seen mentioned specifically yet is patience.  8^)

"Beer Time" is like "Microsoft Time" a minute may take a day or a week may only take an hour. 

Cold beer and time will eventually clear almost any beer that can be cleared.  The other things folks have mentioned will help speed up the process.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:26:09 pm »
About the only thing I haven't seen mentioned specifically yet is patience.  8^)

"Beer Time" is like "Microsoft Time" a minute may take a day or a week may only take an hour. 

Cold beer and time will eventually clear almost any beer that can be cleared.  The other things folks have mentioned will help speed up the process.

Paul

+1

That’s like ‘BBQ time’. It’s done when it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk