Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn syrup  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Corn syrup
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:04:59 am »
Anyone out there use corn syrup? What in? Any good?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Corn syrup
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:16 am »
You don't mean Karo do you?  If so, dont do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:59:22 am »
Yeah, Karo has stuff other than corn syrup in it, avoid that.  You can get brewers corn syrup.  My LHBS has it (also in 5 gal pails!) Here:  https://www.grapeandgranary.com/corn-syrup-25-lb-jar.html
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:20:42 pm »
You don't mean Karo do you?  If so, dont do it.
No.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:21:55 pm »
Yeah, Karo has stuff other than corn syrup in it, avoid that.  You can get brewers corn syrup.  My LHBS has it (also in 5 gal pails!) Here:  https://www.grapeandgranary.com/corn-syrup-25-lb-jar.html
That's what I'm talkin' about.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:41:18 am »
Have you brewed with it? If so, what were your results?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:13:08 pm »
Have you brewed with it? If so, what were your results?
I haven't brewed with it -- yet.  Keep meaning to in an American style but I always seem to just use flaked maize.   Might finally make it into the Schlitz clone Denny set me on the path to, when I finally do that.  All I know is the LHBS has sold it for years, so somebody  must like it.  It is at least a real brewing ingredient.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:45 am »
I wonder if corn syrup (the stuff without additives) can be added to bottles for bottle conditioned beer?  And if so, how many mL should be injected per 12 Oz. bottle (as a nominal 'ballpark' quantity, foregoing the proper need to compute remaining CO2 volumes, and target CO2 volumes...)?

I hate racking to a bottling bucket, and since my fermenter has a bottom discharge valve I'd rather go straight from the fermenter to the bottle, atop some priming sugar.  I've tried the 1/2 TSP of granulated table sugar and Domino Dots methods with success, but corn syrup seems easy enough to add by the mL via a 5 mL size medicine syringe to each bottle.

Perhaps corn syrup sold in health food stores is free of the added junk found in Caro.  ???

Given the density of the corn syrup there should be a means to compute how many grams per mL of actual corn sugar it contains.  Then one can apply more sophisticated computations of temperatures and remaining/target CO2 volumes if desired...  One source stated 1.33 g/mL as the density.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:27:20 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:16 am »
Corn syrup is one of the many priming options shown on theNorthern Brewer priming sugar calculator.

I too was getting tired of the bottling bucket because of oxidationin a recent Belgian iPA I did. So I approached it in a similar manner to what you say. Bottled from the fermenter at cold temperature. Two bottle at a time then cap. Dosed priming sugar from a syringe based on desired volume from calculator.

So far, consistent carbonation in bottles and hops are still strong and beer flavorful. Pale ale. Only three weeks into it and we will see how it holds up.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 10:24:05 am »
   If you're bottling from the FV then prime the whole batch at once IN the FV, that's way less goofing around than priming each bottle.  If you're concerned with oxidation then purge the FV with CO2 as best you can after priming. I've been doing it that way for well over 100 batches, and just to be really anal, I fill a large weather type balloon with ~7-10 gallons of CO2 and attach it to the airlock opening to try to retain the CO2 blanket on top of the beer.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 07:11:46 am »
If I'm calculating it correctly (and please allow that this is a big "if"), it looks like about 2.0-2.5 mL of corn syrup should nicely prime a typical 12 ounce bottle of beer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:14:22 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 09:45:47 am »
   If you're bottling from the FV then prime the whole batch at once IN the FV, that's way less goofing around than priming each bottle.  If you're concerned with oxidation then purge the FV with CO2 as best you can after priming. I've been doing it that way for well over 100 batches, and just to be really anal, I fill a large weather type balloon with ~7-10 gallons of CO2 and attach it to the airlock opening to try to retain the CO2 blanket on top of the beer.

The reason for not priming the entire batch in the fermenter was to avoid inconsistent carbonation and possible oxidation from stirring. I do not have the ability to use co2 at this point.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:54 am »
My reason for not adding priming sugar to the fermenter is that I no longer rack to a secondary.  I bottle straight off the primary.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 08:01:13 am »
If I'm calculating it correctly (and please allow that this is a big "if"), it looks like about 2.0-2.5 mL of corn syrup should nicely prime a typical 12 ounce bottle of beer.

OK, I've found some data indicating that corn syrup without "the other stuff" in it might be closer to a nominal room temperature density of 1.43g/mL, whereas I believe the "Karo types" found in grocery stores might be closer to around 1.33 g/mL.  With this in mind the good stuff of the corn syrup world might require closer to ballpark 1.8 to 2.3 mL per 12 Oz. bottle as a first ballpark guess.  If you are going to experiment with Corn Syrup for bottle priming purposes, an initial guess of 2 mL per 12 Oz. bottle "might" be a safe launching off point for experimentation purposes only.  With the emphasis upon "might" (as indeed, it "might not").  No guarantees are expressed or implied for this advice.  Use all due caution and precaution.  All of this is mere speculation.  YMMV... 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:30:01 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:21:49 am »
Brewers corn syrups consist of 80-82% solids by weight and 18-20% moisture.  Fermentable extract ranges anywhere from 35-82% by weight -- they are made to match any sugar profile the brewer desires, so as to replicate the composition of a wort from a mash with grits or flakes, with standard acid-hydrolized syrups providing fermentable extract at the lower end, acid-enzyme products ranging up to full fermentability.  I don't know the fermentability of the product linked above.  This would not be a great issue if used as a kettle adjunct, but you would certainly need to know this if using it for priming
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:27:13 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio