Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW vs. Automatic Dishwashing Detergent  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Tim

• 1st Kit
Re: PBW vs. Automatic Dishwashing Detergent
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 12:39:12 pm »
It depends.  I use dollar store Oxiclean and it works well if I use warm water and let it soak overnight.  I can't say I really notice a difference with PBW.

I use cheap dishwasher detergent with my keg/carboy/bottle washer.  I never really thought about using this instead of Oxi or PBW.  When I have used these in the washer they suds up too much.  One other thing I noticed, looking at the ingredients, one if its ingredients is bleach.  So, I make sure I rinse well when I am done.

Offline Craig Hairrell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:51 pm »
From Ron Minkoff's HomebrewCon  panel. I have not tried this.

Poor Man's PBW.
10 oz.. seventh generation dishwasher detergent - Walmart
16 oz Red Devil TSP - Amazon
24 oz Oxy-Clean, no fragrance
That's Red Devil TSP/90 -- a TSP substitute.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 09:09:38 pm »
From Ron Minkoff's HomebrewCon  panel. I have not tried this.

Poor Man's PBW.
10 oz.. seventh generation dishwasher detergent - Walmart
16 oz Red Devil TSP - Amazon
24 oz Oxy-Clean, no fragrance
That's Red Devil TSP/90 -- a TSP substitute.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

You're correct, said so on the slide. My mistake, fixed now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 08:28:35 am »
Just to add to this, and Rob will concur,  I also use a cleaner made for bulk milk tanks to clean glassware like carboys.  It is cheap and works well.  IIRC,  I bought a 25 lb tub of the stuff for less than $40 and it last a long time.

I still use PBW to clean my fermenter, plate chiller, keggles, and RIMS system.  Will maybe try Craftmeister for these part s of my brew system once my 4# tub of PBW is gone.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 08:50:38 am »
I'm currently using the homemade PBW as my alkaline cleaner, and I use dairy milkstone remover as an acid rinse following alkaline cleaning, and as my beerstone remover (it's all just calcium oxalate deposits.)  This dairy product is the same composition (42% phosphoric acid with water and surfactants) and costs about a tenth of what you'll pay for Five Star's BS Remover, or Acid 5, etc. 

Sometimes a product can be relabelled for brewery use and marked up just because homebrewers or craft brewers will pay up.  Farmers can't.  Sad but true.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 06:47:09 am »

Sometimes a product can be relabelled for brewery use and marked up just because homebrewers or craft brewers will pay up.  Farmers can't.  Sad but true.

Excellent point, Robert.  I never considered that, but I bet you’re absolutely spot on.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 08:13:39 am »
I'm currently using the homemade PBW as my alkaline cleaner, and I use dairy milkstone remover as an acid rinse following alkaline cleaning, and as my beerstone remover (it's all just calcium oxalate deposits.)  This dairy product is the same composition (42% phosphoric acid with water and surfactants) and costs about a tenth of what you'll pay for Five Star's BS Remover, or Acid 5, etc. 

The acid rinse I use is Stronghold NPS which has a mixture of Nitric, Phosphoric, and Sulfuric acid.  I am trying to find the percentages of each but so far no luck on retrieving the MSDS for this product.  However it is similar to Learacid marketed by Loeffler which we used at the brewery I worked for.  It works well and I got it at a dairy supply store for about $50 for a five gallon container (I only need about 12 ml in a couple gallons of water).  It will last me forever!  I have also given some to some of the locals to acid rinse their stuff.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified