Author Topic: To any homebrewers in the Des Moins, Iowa area - Where are you getting supplies?  (Read 124 times)

Online Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I stopped by Beer Crazy about a week ago and found out it will be closed by Thanksgiving.  It has been my LHBS since the day it opened since it was less than 2 miles from home (that wasn't a good thing according to my wife the family bookkeeper).  I have admit, it felt like being told a good friend was dying.

I've been looking around on the interwebs for reasonably close by options and not finding much. 

Soooo, my question is simply "with the loss of Beer Crazy, where are you going to purchase your supplies?" 
Any places in Central Iowa that you could recommend?
Recommendations for online stores with decent rates on bulk grain?

Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Bummer.  I am so blessed to be within a few minutes of my LHBS (which recently added a tasting bar for hard to get craft beers and its own ciders to enable it to stay open in an otherwise profit-limited enterprise). 

Full sacks of base grain will probably be your hardest package to get, as almost all charge shipping by bulk; a friend of mine gets 10 lb. bags of grain from More Beer with free shipping - not sure if that is still out there or if it has been discontinued....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
this is one of my biggest fears is the HBS that's about 10min away from me will close. I would end up having to drive at least 45min to nearest one after that... but looking at this map, Iowa is a freaken desert for beer.

http://www.brewingnews.com/webpdfs/webonly/WEB_Iowa.pdf

it doesn't look like you have any homebrew shops anymore. you might try talking to some of the brewers on the list and see what if any options they could offer you but it looks like you may be going online shopping... I feel for ya buddy!
Phoenix, AZ

Online Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I haven't found any LHBS within ~1 hour in any direction from Des Moines.  We had 3 or 4 at one point in the Des Moines area alone.

I've found one in Boone, 2 or 3 in the Cedar Rapids area, one in Osceola but they're all 50 minutes to 3 hours away.  It's going to take some time to adjust to the new reality.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
Welcome to my world. It’s a very small selection at a health food store or online for me. I use More Beer and Great Fermentations as well as Atlantic Brew Supply. Sunset Hydroponic out of New York will ship sacks free but of course the sack price is a bit higher. ...but the total beats any other I’ve found when shipping is calculated in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
I live in Cedar Falls and we lost ours about two years ago. Have you talked to the Iowa Brewer's Union club in Des Moines? There is BIY Homebrew Supply in Marion & North Liberty. There is also Bluff Brew Haus in Dubuque. I use Northern Brewer in Minneapolis.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline MNWayne

• Assistant Brewer
My nearest is 1.5 hours away.  I rely on MoreBeer for most things. $59 purchase gets you free shipping, so I buy a lot of 10lb bags of grain. Not quite 50# sack pricing, but the best I've found.   It's a good way to try a lot of base grains.
Far better to dare mighty things....