Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PH and steeping grins  (Read 1087 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
PH and steeping grins
« on: November 16, 2019, 01:50:08 pm »
  Doing a RIS and planning on putting in the steeping the dark grains at sparge. If I take a PH reading at like 15 minutes from the start of the mesh, the PH will be different from the end of the mash because I add dark grains at the end of he mash which bring down the PH.  If I add 2 ml of lactic acid at 15 minutes it may not be enough. How do you guys do this? Do you check the PH at preboil and adjust it from there?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: PH and steeping grins
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »
The dark grains will pull the pH down and lactic acid will pull the pH down evenmore.  I wouldn't use it.  Plus if you add them at the end of the mash the pH won't matter much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 07:10:29 am »
While delaying the introduction of roast grains to the end of a mash can help avoid the problems in mashing at an overly low pH. But it doesn't avoid the problem of ending up with a kettle wort pH that may be lower than desirable for beer flavor and perception. Sometimes, there is no substitute for proper mash and kettle pH and this technique is useless under that condition.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 12:39:23 pm »
I don't know what your water profile is before any treatments. Do you treat your own water? RO or distilled and then add minerals back in? Could you make the water with a higher carbonate, bicarbonate level to offset the effects of the darker grains?

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 12:39:40 pm »
 not sure how this answers the question of how to lower the PH after sparge other than knowing the Pre boil PH but here is the water profile.
my water profile: 
Calcium- 42ppm
Magnesium-8.4 pm
Sodium- 43 ppm
Sulfate-71 ppm
Chloride-41 ppm
Bicarbonate- 110 ppm