Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: World's oldest starter  (Read 1095 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
World's oldest starter
« on: November 09, 2019, 09:01:16 pm »
Well, world's oldest malt extract. Tomorrow I plan to brew Denny's BVIP recipe.....10 gallons of it!  Going to split it betweem WY1450 and US-05.  I have two packets of US-05, but thought I would make a starter for the WY1450 (born on date of September 25).

Turns out I am all out of DME, and no good alternatives since the local hardware store gave up on selling homebrew supplies.  So I turned to the 3.3 lb. pouches of LME that a friend who gave up the hobby gave to me.....A DECADE AGO.

The brand is Northwestern Gold.  I recall they were a Wisconsin LHBS who had a contract with Briess to distribute their malt extract.  The LME looked like molasses, and tasted like caramel.  I made a two liter starter anyway, and pitched the smack pack in.

It is fermenting nicely in a 1 gallon clear glass jug.  No krausen. Today I looked at the box that the Northwestern Gold LME pouch came in and saw a date stamped on it.

December 17, 1992.

As I will have the US-05 as a sort of control, it will be interested to compare the two. Although I don't believe any little amount of 27 year old wort starter will make an impact on the flavor of a big beer such as the BVIP.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: World's oldest starter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:20:26 pm »
Let me know how it turns out.  I too have some LME from the 1990s that I have been too scared to use.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:24:23 am »
I once bought a whole bunch of boxes of Homebrew kits from the manager of a liquor store for $1 each.  They had been on their high shelf for many years when I got them.  I sorted them out, threw away the ancient brown hops and the unmarked yeast and saved the dry malt extract.  Some of them were solid rocks of extract, but I occasionally would break of a section and make a starter with it.  It seemed to work fine.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:27:20 am »
A guy in our club got a bunch of expired LME from the LHBS. very out of date, very dark. Some made beer with them, those were oxidized. I made starters and decanted. Those were ok.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:05:03 am »
I made an old ale that took third place in the AHA's club only competition with some very oxidized extract, but it took over a year before the extract twang had melded into the pleasant oxidation of an old ale.

I typically only use old extract in starters that I plan to decant.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:28:39 pm »
Today I kegged the BVIP. The 1450 with the stale extract starter finished at 1.018, for an apparent attenuation of 78%.

The 2 packets of US-05 finished the wort at 1.014, for an apparent attenuation of 83%. It also had a massive blowoff despite fermenting around 62. Both hydrometer samples tasted great, no real difference. I'm anxious to compare the two once they are carbonated and ready to serve.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:21 am »
Today I kegged the BVIP. The 1450 with the stale extract starter finished at 1.018, for an apparent attenuation of 78%.

The 2 packets of US-05 finished the wort at 1.014, for an apparent attenuation of 83%. It also had a massive blowoff despite fermenting around 62. Both hydrometer samples tasted great, no real difference. I'm anxious to compare the two once they are carbonated and ready to serve.

That's a lot lower than I get for that beer.  Mine is in the 1.026 range
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell