Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewers Best American light extract kit  (Read 1017 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
Brewers Best American light extract kit
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:11:10 am »
Hey all

I mainly brew all grain IPA and porters but a friend asked me to brew this extract "American light" kit. I read directions but it said to just ferment at 68f. I thought these bud type beers required colder fermentation? Any tips?

thx

Z

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewers Best American light extract kit
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:17:22 am »
Extract kits most likely give you a generic dried ale yeast assuming that people brewing those kits don't have the ability to cold ferment a lager.  They want to make sure the customer has a successful fermentation and gets beer.  Compared to your IPA, the kit will probably still make something closer to a mainstream light beer.  No reason you couldn't substitute your own choice of yeast and fermentation temperature, if you think it's worth the effort.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:23:46 am »
Looks like they include Nottingham yeast in the kit. Notty works well from about 50F to the lower 70s, and will produce a very lager like beer fermenting as high as 60 to 64. I've never tried the lower end, but would bet it would produce a super clean lager.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:43:06 am »
yes.  Nottingham. I have capability to ferm at any temp.  Just want him to end up with good beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:03:34 pm »
yes.  Nottingham. I have capability to ferm at any temp.  Just want him to end up with good beer.

Nottingham has never a been one of my favorites for a clean yeast.  It will be OK if you dont have other choices, but if possible I'd consider something else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:45:27 pm »
I have safal05?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 12:51:42 pm »
I have safal05?

Slightly better IMO.  If you like it, go for it.  I'd use Lallemand Diamond or Saflager 34/70, but if you don't have those go for the 05.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »
Thanks and ferment temp?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 02:20:36 pm »
I’ve read a lot of complains that -05 has a peachy off flavor. My guess is those brewers used 1/2g per liter creating the ester as a sign of stress.

I want to try 1g per liter at 65*F to see what the results will be. My thought is the higher pitch rate will eliminate the stress and therefore the off flavor resulting in a cleaner beer.

Of course, the opposite could result making it a peach bomb. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 09:53:30 pm »
I’ve read a lot of complains that -05 has a peachy off flavor. My guess is those brewers used 1/2g per liter creating the ester as a sign of stress.

I want to try 1g per liter at 65*F to see what the results will be. My thought is the higher pitch rate will eliminate the stress and therefore the off flavor resulting in a cleaner beer.

I have been brewing 2.5-3 gallon batches for years now and have used US-05 11g packs several times. I have gotten the peach ester multiple times. To me it is most pronounced in blonde ales and other beers light on hop and malt flavors that otherwise hide it. When I have brewed pale ales with US-05 I think I can still pick up the peach but it generally blends in well with the citrus hop flavors I tend to use.

I have read that the peach flavor disappears at higher temps. I tend to target 64F fermentation temperature for no good reason. I have read people say 67+ is a better temp for US-05.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 05:45:31 am »

I have been brewing 2.5-3 gallon batches for years now and have used US-05 11g packs several times. I have gotten the peach ester multiple times. To me it is most pronounced in blonde ales and other beers light on hop and malt flavors that otherwise hide it. When I have brewed pale ales with US-05 I think I can still pick up the peach but it generally blends in well with the citrus hop flavors I tend to use.

I have read that the peach flavor disappears at higher temps. I tend to target 64F fermentation temperature for no good reason. I have read people say 67+ is a better temp for US-05.

Well, that blows my hypothesis. LOL. Interesting about the temp though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 10:33:25 am »

Done it.  Made no difference for me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 02:48:02 pm »
ok 65 to 68 with us 05. no need to drop temps drastically?