Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaking hoses on Kegerator  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Mike Counts

• 1st Kit
Leaking hoses on Kegerator
« on: November 11, 2019, 12:35:56 pm »
I have recently purchased a used 2-tap kegerator.  I have replaced all the hoses and been using it for a few weeks with one of my homebrews.   I hooked up the second keg of homebrew and the hose connector at the tower shank will not stop leaking.  The hose is a 1/4" ID.  Not sure the size of the tower shank connector.  I have replaced the clamp twice and moved it to different places on the shank.  No luck.  Still leaks.  The other tap is working fine with no leaks.  Any suggestion on what I might use to getter a better fit?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Leaking hoses on Kegerator
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:38:03 am »
Since it is leaking at one spot I would look at that connection. Perhaps a missing or worn gasket.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:14:27 am »
Guess I didn't read your post completely before my first reply. I assume since it's a tower that the shank has a welded elbow with barbs and that's where it's leaking. This weld can crack and leak. If the elbow is part of a separate fitting this may also be the case or, as Kevin suggests there could also be a problem with the gasket or fitting.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Mike Counts

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 02:10:48 pm »
Correct on the elbow and barb.  It seems to be coming from the hose connected to the elbow.  It will not fully seal.  May try taking a hot hair dryer to it to see if the hose will shrink around the elbow to make a better connection.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:50:59 pm »
Something else I've seen with the barbs is when someone cut the old hose off and scored the barbs deeply enough that the hose won't seal properly. Shanks aren't that expensive. If all else fails, just buy a new one.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV