Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Force carbonating kegs  (Read 1841 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Force carbonating kegs
« on: November 20, 2019, 04:55:07 am »
I thought I would share this practice.

Like most people who keg and force carbonate, I used to force carbonate my kegs by attaching the ball lock gas connector and laying the keg on its side, turn the co2 tank to 30 psi and roll said keg back and forth for a few minutes or longer. Next, stand the keg up leaving it to sit overnight at the 30 psi. Not too much of a PITA but thought there is a better way.

I had an epiphany, leave the keg upright, attach a liquid connector to a gas hose and attach that to the liquid out post. The co2 now travels down the dip tube and, in my opinion, carbonates the beer more efficiently. While at the same time attaching the original gas in hose to its proper ball lock. Turn the co2 tank to now 10psi instead of 30 and carbonate from both directions. No lifting, no rolling. Keg stays in place and is ready to tap sooner.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Force carbonating kegs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 07:13:02 am »
You might like Santa to bring you this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:40 am »
I use the set-it-and-forget-it method... just hook the gas up to the gas post with the regulator set at serving pressure and walk away. It only takes 5 to 7 days and I don't do any of those other steps.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:51:32 am »

I wouldn’t want to expose my beer to unneeded oxygen considering that I close transfer from fermenter to keg.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 10:40:33 am »

I've used those.  You can do set-and-forget in 24 hours.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
I use the set-it-and-forget-it method... just hook the gas up to the gas post with the regulator set at serving pressure and walk away. It only takes 5 to 7 days and I don't do any of those other steps.

^^^^^This! 

I put the keg  in the lagering freezer set the pressure to the desired volumes of CO2 and leave it (about 5 days at 10 PSI for 2.5 volumes).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 10:42:30 am »

^^^^^This! 

I put the keg  in the lagering freezer set the pressure to the desired volumes of CO2 and leave it (about 5 days at 10 PSI for 2.5 volumes).

^^^^This, and ^^^^that.
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
I've done it a couple ways.   I set it to the PSI necessary for the C02 volumes I'm looking for (usually 12) and let it go 10-14 days when I'm patient and don't need the beer in a hurry.  I've also used a burst carbonation method where I will put the keg on 40-50 psi for 8-12 hours and then bring it down to serving pressure, again 12 psi.  It most times isn't quite 100% carbonated but it is usually close. It will be 100% after a day or two.   I've had good results with both.  I pressurize my fermenter around 5 PSI when cold crashing so I'm starting with some carbonation already too.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing