Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will changing temps hurt carbonation early-on in the set-it-and-forget-it-method  (Read 874 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
I haven't kegged before, and I'm thinking about making two versions of a brown ale;  one with the base recipe and one with added black currant concentrate.

My plan is to put three gallons of the fully-fermented base beer into one keg, remove it from my fermentation fridge, and start pressurizing it at ambient garage temps while adding the black current concentrate to the remaining beer in the fermenter and allowing the residual yeast or perhaps adding fresh yeast to ferment the sugars in the concentrate version before kegging it.

I assume the temps in my garage will range between 25 F and 50 F unless we have some really extremely hot or cold weather.  After about a week, I would take the second batch with the black currant concentrate out of my garage fridge/fermentation chamber and finish fermenting it inside my house.
Then, I would reset the temp controller to 38 F to finish carbonating the base brown ale version in my fridge.

My plan is it then to finish carbonating both beers to 2.4 volumes at 38 F at the recommended pressure with the set-it-and-forget-it method. 

Will temp changes in the garage early-on in the process impair carbonation and or adversely change the taste of the beer?  Thanks in adavnce for your advice.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:27:49 am by Lazy Ant Brewing »
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
It shouldn’t be a big problem, but the higher temps will cause the beer to absorb less CO2 during that time frame.  I wouldn’t stress out on that issue - good luck with your processes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"