Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg cleaning question  (Read 3104 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Keg cleaning question
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 10:01:53 am »
Oxygen cleaners should not be mixed with hot water, just room temperature or a little bit warm at most, even cold is ok.  At higher temperatures, the reaction is accelerated, and all the oxygen is released at once, so it has no time to have the desired effect.   It needs to be slowly released over at least a half hour or so in order to break down organic material.

I have almost never used anythign butt the hottest tap water I can get, and both Oxi and Craftmeister were perfectly acceptable.  Maybe this is another thing that's more theoretical than a real issue?
Possibly, and all the cleaners work in more than one way at once.  But in very hot water you probably aren't getting full advantage of the oxygen, while maybe enhancing the effects of the simple carbonates and metasilicate?  Just some information new to me I came across doing research on the interwebs on how to make up a cheap, homemade cleaner that checks all the boxes on the patent for PBW. I'd always heard around here that oxygen cleaners need hot water while others don't, it may actually be the other way around!  So I've started mixing my PBW, oxy, whatever, in warm but not super hot or cold water.  Soak long enough, heck, the water alone will do a lot!

But do I need to take fuller advantage of the cleaner if I'm getting everything perfectly clean already?  And FWIW, Oxi and PBW list a 120-130F temp (IIRC) in order to fully dissolve their components.  One of the things that I like about Craftmeister is that their formulation dissolves at lower temps.  Just one of tgose random pieces of info stuck in my head.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 10:09:59 am »
Yeah, we've probably discussed it before, but somehow I get PBW to dissolve and rinse easier than Craft Meister.  Who knows why, probably in the water, but, bottom line is, do what works for you.  Important thing is to get everything clean.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 12:30:42 pm »
Wash keg out with hot water.  Add clean hot water (3gal) and flush this through beer lines(10psi). Add clean hot water with PBW(3gal) let soak 30min, flip keg over soak 30min then flush through beer lines(10psi).  Spray keg out with clean hot water then fill with 2 gal water and flush beer lines(10psi).  Fill keg with starsan and send through beer lines into another keg.   Ready for next beer.   Only take keg apart if it was sitting for a while +3-4 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
Yeah, we've probably discussed it before, but somehow I get PBW to dissolve and rinse easier than Craft Meister.  Who knows why, probably in the water, but, bottom line is, do what works for you.  Important thing is to get everything clean.

I have a really hard time dissolving PBW.  What I have to do is get water from the hot water dispenser (about 170-180) and dissolve the PBW.  I then add that to the regular hot water.  I got a giant drum of PBW, so I'm stuck with it.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »

I have a really hard time dissolving PBW.  What I have to do is get water from the hot water dispenser (about 170-180) and dissolve the PBW.  I then add that to the regular hot water.  I got a giant drum of PBW, so I'm stuck with it.
Well at least you got enough of a bargain to make the little extra effort worth it!   BTW if anyone is interested in exploring bargains, this monster thread over on HBT is where I started researching homemade options.   https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/homemade-pbw-recipe.467655/
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 05:18:52 pm »
 My B Brite says to use warm water. I’ll let Denny pull out his piece of string and define ‘warm’ for me. It dissolves very easily and does a great job.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 06:51:15 pm »
My B Brite says to use warm water. I’ll let Denny pull out his piece of string and define ‘warm’ for me. It dissolves very easily and does a great job.

Sounds like you know what warm is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 09:25:42 am »

Just above tepid...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 12:09:53 pm »

Just above tepid...

This reminds me of the set of measuring spoons I have marked tad, dash, pinch, smidgen, etc!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 12:12:13 pm »

Just above tepid...

This reminds me of the set of measuring spoons I have marked tad, dash, pinch, smidgen, etc!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »

Just above tepid...

Paul McCartney had his mixer EQ relabelled with names like boom, punch, balls, screech, because he could relate to it better than frequency markings.

www.dennybrew.com