Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh OJ @ kegging  (Read 992 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Fresh OJ @ kegging
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:04:39 am »
I’m getting ready to keg some Denny Cream Lager and I want to experiment with some flavor additions. I want to add OJ concentrate to 1 keg along with 1 vanilla bean and some fresh orange zest. Maybe dry hop too but not sure on that just yet.

So my question is: Is it advisable to add the OJ to the keg, premixing it with 190 grain alcohol that my vanilla beans reside in, just an ounce though to kill any potential bugs that may be in the OJ? Also, the orange zest will be added to the 190.

Thoughts, ideas or experiences?

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Re: Fresh OJ @ kegging
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:45:48 am »
were you able to find OJ with no preservatives in it? I struggle with cider that way.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:55:01 am »
it sounds like you're trying to make a 'creamsicle' beer. There was a brewery here in phx that made one. The brewer told me he used the mandarin orange coffee syrup to get the orange and vanilla extract too. it was a great summer beer. I tried it, you don't have to use much syrup for a 5gal batch.

vanilla bean and zest will get you there but I don't think the concentrate will get you where you think you want to be.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:06:45 pm »
were you able to find OJ with no preservatives in it? I struggle with cider that way.

I haven’t looked yet. TBH, I didn’t think about preservatives. If I go that route then I’ll be buying organic.
Thanks for the heads up

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:10:39 pm »
it sounds like you're trying to make a 'creamsicle' beer. There was a brewery here in phx that made one. The brewer told me he used the mandarin orange coffee syrup to get the orange and vanilla extract too. it was a great summer beer. I tried it, you don't have to use much syrup for a 5gal batch.

vanilla bean and zest will get you there but I don't think the concentrate will get you where you think you want to be.

That’s exactly what I’m striving for.
It’s a 25 gallon total batch size so I thought why not experiment with 5 gallons.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 06:24:11 am »
Follow-up
At kegging I decided to add 1oz homemade vanilla extract (190 grain & Madagascar vanilla beans), 1/2oz dried sweet orange peel, one vanilla bean and 1/4tsp of pure orange extract from Penzeys.
Added all ingredients to keg, purged with co2 and close transferred.
Upon transfer, the aroma coming from the blow-off bucket was actually quite good.

I will give it 2 weeks and tap. Not sure what to expect though. If it tastes as good as it smells then Im good with it. Adjustments expected.

If I like this experiment and decide to sacrifice another keg I will add some lactose in at kegging time.