Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: diacetyl fix...thanks to this forum  (Read 1641 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
diacetyl fix...thanks to this forum
« on: November 21, 2019, 06:39:14 pm »
After 50+ brews I had my first obvious case of diacetyl present in a Vienna Lager.  After looking up previous forum discussions I made a small starter and pitched it into the keg at high krausen.  After 2 weeks sitting in my closet in the mid 60's I'm happy to say the diacetyl is gone, leaving me to enjoy one of my favorite styles without the buttered popcorn flavor.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: diacetyl fix...thanks to this forum
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 07:00:10 pm »
Glad you fixed the D.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:18:33 pm »
The yeast likely helped, but in my experience, maybe what helped more than anything else was the extra 2 weeks warm.  I don't believe the standard "3 days" diacetyl rest is long enough honestly.  I find 3 WEEKS helps a whole lot more than the typically promoted 3 days does.  YMMV.

Glad your beer is better, whatever the reason.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 08:02:04 pm »
The yeast likely helped, but in my experience, maybe what helped more than anything else was the extra 2 weeks warm.  I don't believe the standard "3 days" diacetyl rest is long enough honestly.  I find 3 WEEKS helps a whole lot more than the typically promoted 3 days does.  YMMV.

I tried 2 weeks at 17C after FG was reached (using Imperial Harvest yeast).  This didn’t clean up the diacetyl.  Then made the small starter with Imperial Flagship.  Even after 1 week still had diacetyl, only after a second week was it finally cleared up

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:46:59 am »

If fermentation was finished, it was definitely the yeast, not the temp
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 08:02:53 am »

TIME plus yeast is what did it, much moreso than temperature.  Another case where patience is rewarded.  My main point is that the existing yeast probably would have cleaned up after themselves after 3-4 weeks, such that the addition of more yeast may or may not have had any significant impact.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:19:51 am »

TIME plus yeast is what did it, much moreso than temperature.  Another case where patience is rewarded.  My main point is that the existing yeast probably would have cleaned up after themselves after 3-4 weeks, such that the addition of more yeast may or may not have had any significant impact.

I'm thinking this happened because I transferred the beer to a corny keg after 7 days with a spunding valve attached, hoping there was enough yeast in suspension to clean things up at 17C for 2 weeks.  I left a considerable amount of sludge behind to use for another beer.  Perhaps next time I should transfer more of the sludge as well...

Fermenting, Saison