Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tart/sour yeast starter in 4 days?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
tart/sour yeast starter in 4 days?
« on: November 20, 2019, 09:57:39 am »
so i made a yeast starter using wlp830 german lager, im very ocd with my cleaning and sanitizing (so i thought), anyway had it on a stir plate 24 hours then put it in the fridge to settle out. it was in the fridge for 3-4 days before i got to brew, needless to say i decanted and pitched and i don't know why but decided to taste a drop of the slurry that what was left in the flask after pitching and it was tart/sour, im surprised it went sour that quick and probably gonna have a sour pilsner as a result lol , will adding hops to the starter wort give it more protection from souring bacteria/organisms or is it just a matter that my sanitation procedure is not as thorough as i think it is and i need to tighten my belt, thank you
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: tart/sour yeast starter in 4 days?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:12:38 am »
Hops will make no difference.  Started often have that kind of taste due to the yeast in suspension.  If I was guessing, I'd say it's fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:38:22 am »
It's fine, I'd bet.  Stirred starter wort always tastes awful because of the metabolism of the yeast; you have encouraged the yeast to maximize growth rather than going through the kind of fermentation that makes good beer.  This is why it's best to decant a stirred starter, and if you're not planning to decant, skip the stir plate.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 10:41:57 am »
I agree with the above two posts.  It is probably a tart flavor from yeast and not actually a sour flavor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 10:46:38 am »
I'll toss in my $.02 worth of agreement. 

My starters, even when they smell great, typically taste awful.  I wouldn't sweat it.  Wait for the beer to finish, I'd bet it'll be fine.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 09:34:57 am »
It's fine, I'd bet.  Stirred starter wort always tastes awful because of the metabolism of the yeast; you have encouraged the yeast to maximize growth rather than going through the kind of fermentation that makes good beer.  This is why it's best to decant a stirred starter, and if you're not planning to decant, skip the stir plate.

Could I ask you to expand on that please? Thanks!

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:05 am »

Could I ask you to expand on that please? Thanks!
With a starter of any great size, many people don't want to add a significant volume of that stirred starter beer to their wort in case the off flavors come through.  It's less of a problem if either the starter tastes acceptable, or the starter is very small.  Just a matter of personal judgment really.  I don't like adding any "alien" beer to my wort, so I decant no matter what. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 12:30:36 pm »
Also consider the shaken and not stirred method of using a vitality starter where it is all pitched at high krausen and never stirred on a stir plate.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
Also consider the shaken and not stirred method of using a vitality starter where it is all pitched at high krausen and never stirred on a stir plate.

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:21:35 pm »
thank everyone for chiming in
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle