Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Related Research  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing Related Research
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 07:12:46 am »
Brewer's yeast is a hot scientific area of research. A few people are profiling and categorizing the DNA sequences of available yeasts. The thing that is most interesting to us homebrewers is identifying and categorizing the relationships and origins of commercially available yeasts from the major homebrewing suppliers including White Labs, Wyeast, Fermentis, and Danstar. Right now there are many homebrew yeast enthusiasts and scientists sorting and trying to specifically identify and chart the relationships between the different commercially available yeast strains, so that we can know when choosing and using yeast what we will be getting.

It's a hot field and we homebrewers would love a comprehensive and accurate chart.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Aar0nCM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 05:14:26 pm »
I might add that I'm currently participating in a research where we are converting bio-materials into graphene and active carbon for use in batteries and other applications such as filtration and 3D printing. I am using spent grain as one of my materials.

What about any research involving the production of beer or on finished beer?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 07:13:30 am »
Spent grain is a significant waste stream for craft breweries.  Generally, they don't produce enough spent grain for it to be hauled off to be fed to cattle before it gets really stinky.  Is there a good way to use spent grain that scales down to small breweries?
I would not call spend grain a waste product. I call it by product. My farmer is very happy to pick it up for feed the day i brew.

There is a plenty farms around Chicago land area. I will agree with you that it takes some work to find farmer that is willing to do pickup.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brewing Related Research
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 12:30:58 pm »
For a long time, most (if not all) cutting boards were made of wood. But at some point people began using plastic cutting boards. The idea was that they were easier to clean (and sanitize), and therefore were safer.

In the late 1980s, a UC Davis researcher named Dean Cliver – the de facto godfather of cutting board food safety – decided to investigate whether plastic cutting boards really were safer. Answer: not really.  He concluded deep cuts (scratches) can harbor bacteria that is difficult to clean and sanitize and therefore the cutting boards should be routinely replaced. 

My proposal for your research is: Does using a plastic bucket for fermentation over time damage it to the point that it can no longer be cleaned or sanitized?  If so, under what conditions or how often should the plastic bucket be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:23:45 pm by BrewBama »