Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High FG! Add another yeast pack?  (Read 820 times)

Offline gudjonhrafn

• 1st Kit
High FG! Add another yeast pack?
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:40 am »
Hello

I just started brewing again after a long time away and I made a few mistakes during the first batch.. First I added a 700 gr of Lactose straight after the boil instead of after the fermantation..

Which may affected my FG..

After 10 days of fermenting i took a reading before adding raspberry and vanilla to the batch. My FG was 1.032, should be around 1.010. My OG was 1.057..
I´m fermenting in a fermentation chamber at 19°C / 66.2°F

What I'm wondering can I add another yeast to the batch to get the gravity down? and can i add it though I already put the raspberrys and vanilla in?

will it do any good?
thanks
Gudjon Hrafn
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:19:37 pm by gudjonhrafn »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: High FG! Add another yeast pack?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:23 am »
You added an awful lot of lactose, more than I would ever use or recommend.  Adding more yeast will not do anything helpful at this point.  Just give it sufficient time to complete the fermentation.  I think it may lose a few more gravity points, but if it's done then pack it up and try to enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:29:29 am »
I agree with Dave - 700 grams (24.6 oz) is a lot of lactose and it’s enough to throw any gravity readings completely out of norms.  There’s no telling what the finished product will be like.  I suggest toy cap it, or keg it, wait a few weeks and try it.  You may like it....or you may feed it to the fish!  Either way, it was a great learning experience.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 08:17:19 am »
It's more about wort fermentability than yeast.  You've made a highly unfermentablea wort and adding more yeast won't help.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:53:37 am »
Of course adding unfermentable lactose will raise the gravity.  That’s what it’s supposed to do.  But since we don’t know the batch size we can’t calculate what the actual final gravity would have been without it. If you have a brewing program like beersmith you can plug in the numbers to get an idea on whether your fermentation is indeed finished.
You’ll want to add more fermenting time after you add the fruit as well.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gudjonhrafn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 03:18:45 pm »
Thanks for the help and reply's.

I was trying to make a Double Smoothie IPA. And the lactose was suppose to put after the fermentation to get that smoothie texture..

I'm using Grainfather and I was aiming to get 23 l batch ended with a 24 L.

I was planing to have the fruit in for 7days and then add 200gr of mosaic to dry hop for 3 days.. You think I should give it more fermentation time than that?

This is the recipe:
GRAIN
Pilsner malt, 2.65kg/5lbs 13.5oz (60%)
Wheat, 880g/1lb 15oz (20%)
Flaked oats, 440g/15.5oz (10%)
MASH
67C/152F for 75 mins
HOPS
(60 minute boil)
Mosaic, 27g/1oz, 10 mins
Mosaic, 67g/2.4oz, whirlpool
Mosaic, 200g/7oz, dry hop for 3 days
YEAST
Fermentis S-04 English Ale
FERMENT
19C/66F
OTHER INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, 440g/15.5oz (10%), in the boil
Lactose, after the boil, to raise the OG by 3P (about 12-13 specific gravity points); around 700g/ 1lb 8oz
Fresh raspberries, 1.3kg/2lbs 13.9oz, and 2.5 vanilla pods sliced down the middle, after primary fermentation, before dry hopping

I guess that I just have to wait and see if its any good :) I'll check out beersmith

Thanks for the help

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 12:13:26 pm »
I don’t suggest this as a good idea, but perhaps Kviek or Brett might ferment the residual starches or sugars a bit more...maybe split the batch and see.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"