Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing outdoor in cold weather?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Scott Tankersley

• 1st Kit
Brewing outdoor in cold weather?
« on: November 30, 2019, 11:24:43 am »
I'm fairly new to extract homebrewing. Can I brew beer outdoors in cold weather and have good wort?
Scott Tankersley

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Brewing outdoor in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 11:49:31 am »
I'm fairly new to extract homebrewing. Can I brew beer outdoors in cold weather and have good wort?

Yes you can.

Wind can be a problem with gas burners, so a windshield can help keep the heat going to the kettle.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 11:50:50 am »
As long as it’s not too cold for you, it will probably be fine to brew outside in cold weather.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:10:16 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is freezing hoses for chilling your beer.  I keep my chiller and hoses inside until it is time to use them. Also make sure your outside faucet is not frozen and water turned on.  I have brewed in temps in the upper teens, it wasn't pleasant. I find mid 20's and above is good if there is no wind.  75F is preferred though:)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:37:51 pm »
When I brewed outside in the cold, I’d set up a pop up shelter and install side screens to cut the wind. Hovering around the boil kettle was nice. Amazing how fast the chiller worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Scott Tankersley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:38:24 am »
I'm brand new to this forum and don't yet know how to properly respond and thank people for answering my questions or comments. So thanks to one and all for your answers and your help.eventually I will learn.
Scott Tankersley

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:16:45 am »
I used to watch the weather forecasts for the coldest day I could find to brew outdoors. I believe the coldest I got was 15° F with 8" of snow on the ground. It was fun back then but not so much any more.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline mtsoxfan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:59:27 am »
Just brewed an English Old Ale this morning. 18* when I started at 6:30. I brew in garage right by the door, but door is open so I don't expire to the propane….  As long as you dress for it, it's fine. Water spilled on driveway froze, Spray nozzle on hose froze, but that was easy fix. I use thick rubber gloves when dealing with water, keeps hands dry and warm.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 03:18:25 pm »
I brew in my garage when it is cold. I set up a portable heater. Between that and the propane burner the temperature in the garage is fine. I do find that loss more during the boil when it's cold as compared to the summer time.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Barbarian Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 05:36:04 pm »
I use a piece of leftover sheet metal from a bathroom remodel as a windscreen.  It's L-shaped so it blocks wind from two sides and is stabilized with cinder blocks.  It keeps the flame from blowing out and cuts down on propane cost a bit.  As far as propane usage, when I first started brewing outdoors I was concerned I'd go through a ton more propane due to cold.  While I'm sure I do use more propane in the winter than in the summer, it's not so significant that I notice. 
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot." -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 06:47:37 pm »
I brew in my garage when it is cold. I set up a portable heater. Between that and the propane burner the temperature in the garage is fine. I do find that loss more during the boil when it's cold as compared to the summer time.

+1 to this.  Although I don't use an additional heater because my garage is small so the propane burner keeps it plenty warm.  I brew in my garage in the summer too. :)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 04:30:24 am »
I collect the water in buckets and clean with it, so my routine isn’t a whole lot different in winter, but rather than pouring out the spent water onto the driveway, I haul it to the grass (or snowbank, if there are snow piles) to dump it.

I did just buy an all in one product for indoor electric brewing, so that will be nice to use going forward.

Cheers to the hardy outdoor brewers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 05:00:16 am »
My burner stand is round, so I use 10 in. aluminum flashing (for roof valleys) as my wind shields.  Cut to the right size and pop riveted to form a circle.  It's cheap, light weight and simple.

The lowest the temp ever was while I brewed in the garage was low single digits. 

I now have a basement room with a walkout patio.  Heat water and boil outside.  Mash, sparge and chill inside.  It is way more comfortable than in the garage.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jarrod Huff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 07:05:57 am »
Winter brewing can be tough, and I consider myself only a casual brewer (kids and all). As others have said, I found my boil off rate to be a bit higher and a wind shield is a must. I use a low end turkey fryer burner that goes out a lot, not sure if this is a problem with the higher end burners. Best thing about it is cooling takes about 10 minutes instead of 30! If there is snow, just pack it up around the kettle. Or, just do a small batch or continue on with partial boils and extract on the stove when it gets REALLY cold.

<<They think that just because I am young that I am a fool>>

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:30 am »
Back in the days before we built a new garage addition (roughly 15 years ago), I used to brew outside in my barn.  It is about 200 feet from the house and I had to haul brewing water out to the barn, brew the beer, run a hose 200 feet from the house to the barn to chill the wort, haul the wort back inside inside to my fermmenter in my basement, and clean up the system with cold water (a real PITA to do).

It can be done and you can make good beer brewing outside.  That said, I am glad not to have to haul all this stuff to and from the barn anymore and I it is great to have hot and cold running water in my "in the house" brewery to clean equipment.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified