Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Piwo Grodziskie  (Read 1274 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Piwo Grodziskie
« on: January 15, 2020, 05:38:11 am »
My brother, who has a malting company in Philly, sent me some oak smoked wheat malt so I figured it must be time to explore a new-to-me style.  I had a Piwo Grodziskie on tap and out of the bottle from my local German restaurant/bar/market, Mr. Dunderbaks, so I know what I am aiming for.  Notes on this style show a high bitterness level, mostly from the water chemistry.
When inputting the water for this in Bru'n Water, there is no appropriate water in the drop down menus by city or by using the color/texture choices.  Do you think it would be best to use acid to acidify the mash and add the Sulfate and Chloride to the kettle?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Piwo Grodziskie
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:37:40 pm »
Isn't chloride generally thought to soften bitterness?  My general approach, i.e., not specific to making Piwo Grodz., would be to add all the desired calcium salts in the mash because they acidify and then only add acid if necessary.  Smoke is acidic, so absent data on the acidity of smoked malt, I might target a little bit higher of a pH say 0.05 more in my mash pH calculator than normal.  That's my $0.02.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:52:14 am »
My brother, who has a malting company in Philly, sent me some oak smoked wheat malt so I figured it must be time to explore a new-to-me style.  I had a Piwo Grodziskie on tap and out of the bottle from my local German restaurant/bar/market, Mr. Dunderbaks.

Man I haven’t heard the name Dunderbaks for like 25 years. Used to go to the Daytona location all the time, lived right behind the mall. Love that place!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:36:23 pm »
I seem to recall that someone wrote an article on Grodziskie a year or two ago in Zymurgy. I believe there was some semblance of a water discussion in there. I don't think it was too minerally.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »
It may be from the same article, but it I read sulphate 183, chloride 81, alkalinity 350 and mg 34.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:28:55 am »
It may be from the same article, but it I read sulphate 183, chloride 81, alkalinity 350 and mg 34.

I wrote to the editor, asking about that high alkalinity and how the proper pH is achieved. The author said the acid rest takes care of it, IIRC. You can look at the next issue to confirm that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »
I brewed this today, using 53% smoked wheat malt, 35% wheat malt and 12% pale malt, almost all from Double Eagle Malt.
I used Epsom Salts for about 28ppm magnesium along with Gypsum for 180 Sulfate and CaCl for chloride at 51ppm.  Calcium came in at about 60.  2.25 ml Lactic acid was added to the mash to adjust pH to calculated 5.3, but I didn’t actually check with a meter.
First wort hopped with Edelweiss (a noble-type hop blend from Hop Heaven) and Sterling at 10 minutes for a total of 31 IBUs.
OG was 1.046 split into two 5 gallon fermenters, one with K-97 Kolsch and the other with S-04 English Ale yeast.
I kind of wish it was ready to drink right now.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995