Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What About the Starter?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What About the Starter?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:15 pm »
I will have to give that a go - plus the hot wort can sanitize the no chill vessel, I would think (say in a stainless fermenter left overnight to cool?)

Yep to both.  In Australia they use HDPE Jerry cans, which is what Drew does.  If you like, I can get you a link.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 07:23:29 pm »

I have come to accept the fact that borosilicate glass can handle the stress. To put my mind further at ease, I set the flask on the counter with a sponge stopper in it (the sponge is kept in the neck of the flask during the boil of the starter wort to sterilize it) for about 5 minutes or so before immersing it into the water bath (which is usually about 60 degrees F) then add ice to it after a few minutes to minimize the possibility of stressing the glass a bit.

Goose, first, it was good running into you again today!

You have put my mind at ease as to boiling and cooling in the flask.  I've done a couple of propagation steps this past week or so, and adapted your method, putting the flask first into the water after a brief rest, and then adding the ice.  I feel reassured that there's no sudden shock, and if it did break, at least I'd be spared the effort of separating glass from ice!  I do prefer the simplicity and assured sanitary conditions boiling in the flask.  I suppose if you have bought a flawed flask, you'll know on the first try!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:22 pm »
I tried boiling DME in a flask once. It didn’t go so well. ...as in volcanic eruption. I’ve used a stainless pot ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:38 pm »
I tried boiling DME in a flask once. It didn’t go so well. ...as in volcanic eruption. I’ve used a stainless pot ever since.

Ah, yeah.  If you're boiling in a flask and don't want the science fair volcano demonstration, you need to use antifoam like Fermcap.  It's because the small opening has the same effect as leaving a lid on your pot, guaranteed boil over.  A couple of drops of Fermcap, and you can put your foil on top, your stir bar (gasp!) in the flask, and let the boil sanitize everything.  Without Fermcap, do not attempt boiling in a flask.  Unless you really find a burnt sugar finish attractive on your stovetop.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 07:21:50 am »

Ah, yeah.  If you're boiling in a flask and don't want the science fair volcano demonstration, you need to use antifoam like Fermcap.  It's because the small opening has the same effect as leaving a lid on your pot, guaranteed boil over.  A couple of drops of Fermcap, and you can put your foil on top, your stir bar (gasp!) in the flask, and let the boil sanitize everything.  Without Fermcap, do not attempt boiling in a flask.  Unless you really find a burnt sugar finish attractive on your stovetop.

Note to Rob:  It was really good to see you yesterday.  We need to get together sometime, maybe at one of the Akron breweries, and chew the fat some more!

With regard to boiling in a flask, I add the DME and a very small amount of yeast nutrient when the water gets hot, but not quite boiling, top it up to the correct volume calculated for the starter, and bring it to a slow boil.  Yes, the mixture will tend to foam up when boiling.  When I see that starting to happen, I simply remove the flask from the heat source (use a glove to avoid burning your hand), wait a minute or two until the foam drops down, replace it on the burner, and restart the timer.  You may have to do this several times until the surface tension on the top of the liquid changes enough to suppress the foam.  Boiling with less intense heat will also help.  Yes, Fermcap does work, but I never use the stuff as it is silicon based as I can control the risk of boil over pretty well.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post,  invest in a wire gauze to protect the borosilicate glass flask from hot spots from the heat source.  Wire gauze is a steel mesh that has a circle of nonflammable material in the center (when I was in college chemistry courses many moons ago, the stuff in the center used to be impregnated with asbestos, but it is now some type of heat resistant ceramic material).  Hot spots can weaken the glass over time and the wire gauze spreads the heat evenly over the entire bottom surface of the flask.  You can find it at any online scientific supply house.  I got mine from Fisher Scientific.  They are reasonably priced and a good insurance policy to protect your glassware.

Is my chemistry nerdiness showing again?   :D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 08:15:09 am »
Similar to others, I boil in a stainless steel pot.  I use an ice bath in the sink to cool things down.  Transfer to a gallon jug by pouring through a funnel, and put it on the stir plate.  I generally pitch the entire starter because I usually make them the day before and there's often still activity at pitching time.

The main reason I chill the starter is just to get it done more quickly and get the yeast working.  If there was something preventing me from chilling it, I wouldn't have any concerns with letting it cool down gradually.

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 04:11:54 pm »

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post,  invest in a wire gauze to protect the borosilicate glass flask from hot spots from the heat source.  [...] They are reasonably priced and a good insurance policy to protect your glassware.

Is my chemistry nerdiness showing again?   :D

Wire gauze on order!  Thanks for motivating me, I had thought about that, but when a chemistry nerd says so, it must be important!   :D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:00 pm »
Why boil the starter? You could heat to 180-190, remove from the heat, add the DME, then stir. It should mix well after a few minutes and it will be hot enough to sanitize.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:04 am »
Why boil the starter? You could heat to 180-190, remove from the heat, add the DME, then stir. It should mix well after a few minutes and it will be hot enough to sanitize.

You could do that, I guess.  Being somewhat anal retentive (no I guess I am really anal retentive  ;D )I want to make sure the wort is completely sterile which is what boiling makes sure to accomplish. Just my .02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified