Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Table Sugar  (Read 1349 times)

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Table Sugar
« on: November 30, 2019, 07:12:34 am »
I've never used table sugar in a recipe. Im making a saison and want to dry the beer out and have read that cane sugar/table sugar is the way to proceed.Is belgian candy sugar the same? Can it be used as an equal substitute and does it also dry out the beer?

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
Re: Table Sugar
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 08:18:06 am »
Both sugars will provide nearly fully fermentable forms of sugar and will have the effect of drying the beer. Table sugar is more refined and so had little in the way of any other flavor contribution. Belgian candi sugar can come in various colors which represents degrees of being caramelized. The darker the candi sugar, the more you would likely notice flavor contribution. I think clear candi sugar and table sugar would likely produce similar effects even though they are chemically different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:23:18 am »
From "The Google"
Candi sugar is a Belgian sugar product commonly used in brewing beer. It is particularly associated with stronger Belgian style ales such as dubbel and tripel. Chemically, it is an unrefined sugar beet derived sugar which has been subjected to Maillard reaction and caramelization.

It will tend to dry out a beer but IMHO not as much as table sugar (sucrose) or because of the caramalization.  It is also a lot more expensive than table sugar.  I used to use it in my Tripel but after Denny did a presentation at Homebrew Con 2019 where the audience could not tell the difference between table sugar and candi sugar in the samples, I switched to table sugar to save money and could not tell the difference either.  So I would say use table sugar and you will be fine.
Sidebar, I use dextrose (corn sugar) in my West Coast IPA's  which tends to dry these beers out somewhat as well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 08:48:55 am »
FWIW Duvel uses dextrose.  As noted above, all three plain sugars (table, dextrose, clear candi) will dry out the beer, and keep out of the way flavor wise. Table sugar is 100% fermentable extract by weight, while both dextrose powder and candi syrup contain some water weight, making it a little trickier to calculate how much fermentable sugar they contribute. The biggest difference is, candi will cost you $6-8 for a pound of syrup that's only partly sugar, and table sugar is already in your cupboard and easy to measure and handle.  Winner.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:11:34 am »
   Another brewing myth/wives tale left in the dust of history. When I first started brewing in the Neolithic era - early 1980's - every brewing book I could get my hands on warned against using cane sugar as it would invariably leave you with cidery beer. As I recall the world was still flat and the center of the universe at that time.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 09:12:54 am »
Candi sugar is a waste of money IMO.  You get no flavor from it, so why not use table sugar?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
   Another brewing myth/wives tale left in the dust of history. When I first started brewing in the Neolithic era - early 1980's - every brewing book I could get my hands on warned against using cane sugar as it would invariably leave you with cidery beer. As I recall the world was still flat and the center of the universe at that time.

That comes from the days of "a kit and a kilo".  You'd buy a liquid extract kit and the recipe would have you add a kilo of sugar. Unfortunately, the extract was usually stale and since the sugar had no flavor it didnt cover up the stale extract.  The sugar hot the blame, not the extract which was the real cause.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 09:19:10 am »
The cidery flavor is a result of stressed yeast.   Back then, common homebrew practice being "a can of LME and as many bags of sugar as you could get hold of," lack of nutrients would stress the yeast something awful.  As long as there's enough malt or a little yeast nutrient added, sugar is a perfectly legit ingredient.

(You'll notice that some really old recipes, from George Washington to prohibition era homebrew, called for boiling bran with the fermentables.  This provided some minerals and other stuff which served as some nutrients for the yeast.  Some old timers had at least partly figured it out!)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:27:54 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:19:33 am »
The cidery flavor is a result of stressed yeast.   Back then, common homebrew practice being "a can of LME and as many bags of sugar as you could get hold of," lack of nutrients would stress the yeast something awful.  As long as there's enough malt or a little yeast nutrient added, sugar is a perfectly legit ingredient.

(You'll notice that some really old recipes, from George Washington to prohibition era homebrew, called for boiling bran with the fermentables.  This provided some minerals and other stuff which served as some nutrients for the yeast.  Some old timers had at least partly figured it out!)

As I said above, my experience and research leads me to believe that it was more likely the extract.  Dan Listermann did some research and experiments with it back in the 90s.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 10:30:42 am »
And the science says it's stressed yeast due to lack of certain nutrients that gives a flavor described as "cidery."  But crappy extract wouldn't make it taste better, either!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 10:44:50 am »
And the science says it's stressed yeast due to lack of certain nutrients that gives a flavor described as "cidery."  But crappy extract wouldn't make it taste better, either!

Reality often astonishes theory

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 11:37:43 am »

It's okay.  The universe isn't constituted on Berkeleian, Idealist principles.  Reality doesn't require your observation or belief in order to persist. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 11:50:50 am »

It's okay.  The universe isn't constituted on Berkeleian, Idealist principles.  Reality doesn't require your observation or belief in order to persist.

:)

www.dennybrew.com

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
Not one to be verbose, table sugar it is!

Cheers to all!