Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kimchi  (Read 1022 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Kimchi
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:54:53 pm »
Ok, I know this post has zero to do with fermenting that delicious elixir we call wort, but it does have something to do with fermentation.
Does anyone make kimchi? That nasty, smelly, not to me by the way, Korean fermented cabbage that is mixed with other veg's. If anyone makes it, let me know your process and recipe! I have eaten it off and on for years and recently had some and now I would like to try my hand at it.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: Kimchi
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:30:04 pm »
There's a recording of a Homebrew Con session, Kimchi for the Homebrewer https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/kimchi-for-the-homebrewer/, by Roxanne Westendorf and Miguel Richards available on HomebrewersAssocation.org.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:18:32 pm »
I had a bad experience with Kimchi while stationed in Korea in the early 80(s). I never have been able to deal with it since. I had a similar experience with Tequila in the 70(s) but I have been able to enjoy a Margarita again so there may be hope for me yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:25:43 pm »
There's a recording of a Homebrew Con session, Kimchi for the Homebrewer https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/kimchi-for-the-homebrewer/, by Roxanne Westendorf and Miguel Richards available on HomebrewersAssocation.org.

Good podcast!! Thanks for posting!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:40:59 pm »
I had a bad experience with Kimchi while stationed in Korea in the early 80(s). I never have been able to deal with it since. I had a similar experience with Tequila in the 70(s) but I have been able to enjoy a Margarita again so there may be hope for me yet.

Never made it to Korea during my enlistment. I was 7th fleet and have fond memories of Olongapo/Subic Bay. The smells tastes and aromas are forever ingrained into my taste buds and nasal passages!! LO!L Balut is the nastiest, most grotesque food that never made it past the smell test and believe me, one whiff and you're done.

Same with the takillya. Dangerous stuff there!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:51:07 pm »

Never made it to Korea during my enlistment. I was 7th fleet and have fond memories of Olongapo/Subic Bay. The smells tastes and aromas are forever ingrained into my taste buds and nasal passages!! LO!L Balut is the nastiest, most grotesque food that never made it past the smell test and believe me, one whiff and you're done.

I never got to Korea either, but spent some wild liberties in Subic Bay, also Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Sasebo (Japan: home port).
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:29:50 pm »

I never got to Korea either, but spent some wild liberties in Subic Bay, also Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Sasebo (Japan: home port).

USS Mount Vernon LSD39
Which ship/ships were you on?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:35:35 am »

USS Mount Vernon LSD39
Which ship/ships were you on?
USS Epping Forest for a very short time as it got decommissioned shortly after I arrived then the USS Catskill MCS1.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women