Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing outdoor in cold weather?  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewing outdoor in cold weather?
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2020, 04:09:18 pm »
The Aussies do hold it longer, as in the case of the shop producing wort for sale Drew mentioned, but always in Jerry cans that will hold a vacuum, right?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2020, 04:14:44 pm »
The Aussies do hold it longer, as in the case of the shop producing wort for sale Drew mentioned, but always in Jerry cans that will hold a vacuum, right?

Correct
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2020, 04:15:54 pm »

For me, it's almost never more than 12 hours.

You’re contradicting yourself (above).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I am, because I didn't read your post closely enough the first time. I apologize for the misunderstanding.  The second response is correct.

Whew. I am so pleased you do not advocate what I thought you were saying. My esteem is restored.

Sorry my lack of reading comprehension put us all through that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2020, 08:15:46 pm »

Not to be a downer about things that probably never happen in practice, but if you're canning something acidic it is still not recognized as safe unless you sterilize in a boiling water bath after it is packaged.  The risk is botulism, not bad beer... oxygen is actually your friend here.

narvin

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2020, 08:44:03 pm »
   It was 8 below here yesterday morning, still about 0 now, there's no friggin way I'd brew outside. Winter brewing inside in cold country without ventilation isn't entirely without snakepits, last winter I did a monster brew that took 2 full brew days with extended boil times and a 3rd day for the partigyle. The next day I discovered sticky condensate all over the walls, which was especially bad on the outside walls, that took most of another day to clean up. After that I decided that installing an exhaust system was a priority and intended to get it done this past summer, and of course I never quite got around to it so I guess either I forego big beers until warmer weather or resign myself to scrubbing walls.

I'm using an electric system now and I'm very happy using a steam condenser indoors (https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SteamSlayer).  It takes all of the humidity out without removing large volumes of air (i.e. your heat).  You will still smell the beer (a plus in my opinion!) but there is no residue that lingers without the condensation.  If you're using propane burners I'd still suggest a vent hood for safety.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:28 pm »
I brewed in the not so cold today.

Jeff B

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2020, 09:26:35 am »
   It was 8 below here yesterday morning, still about 0 now, there's no friggin way I'd brew outside. Winter brewing inside in cold country without ventilation isn't entirely without snakepits, last winter I did a monster brew that took 2 full brew days with extended boil times and a 3rd day for the partigyle. The next day I discovered sticky condensate all over the walls, which was especially bad on the outside walls, that took most of another day to clean up. After that I decided that installing an exhaust system was a priority and intended to get it done this past summer, and of course I never quite got around to it so I guess either I forego big beers until warmer weather or resign myself to scrubbing walls.

I'm using an electric system now and I'm very happy using a steam condenser indoors (https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SteamSlayer).  It takes all of the humidity out without removing large volumes of air (i.e. your heat).  You will still smell the beer (a plus in my opinion!) but there is no residue that lingers without the condensation.  If you're using propane burners I'd still suggest a vent hood for safety.

Interesting looking gadget, not something that would work for me though as I'm sticking with gas, and the reduced evaporation from having the lid on would require retooling all my recipes.
   The loss of conditioned [heated or cooled] air due to the exhaust is something I have considered, initially I thought about bringing in make-up air through an air to air heat exchanger, but since the HE would generate a goodly amount of sticky condensate and be in an unconditioned space [the attic], I've backed off from that plan. I'm pretty sure I could figure out a way to make it work, but I don't know if it'd be worth the trouble.
   As for no chill, I don't doubt that it works well most of the time for most of those who employ it. Is there an associated elevated level of risk? Almost certainly. Is that elevated level of risk significant? That depends on an infinite number of possible variables, but I suspect in most cases it isn't. The trick is knowing which time you're gonna be unlucky, if you're not willing to take a chance on having to dump a batch then by all means play it safe. If the possibility, remote though it may be, of having to dump one is a risk you're cool with then carry on with no chill, who knows, you may never have an unlucky day.   
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!