Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck beer faucet  (Read 3400 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Stuck beer faucet
« on: December 05, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »
I have a keezer with three taps.  On one of them I currently have an imperial stout which I don't drink very often.  I love it, it's just a big beer that you have to be in the mood for.  The last time I poured a glass, the faucet was really stuck.  It was probably around 2 weeks or so between pours.  I eventually the tap got it loosened up, but it was so tight I was worried about breaking something (mainly the tap handle).

I ran some searches online and I'm getting a lot of hits for forward sealing faucets.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Any other recommendations for a faucet that may go a little while between pours?  I always soak and clean up faucets between kegs, but I'd rather not have to do that while the same keg is still pouring.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Stuck beer faucet
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:30:06 pm »
Forward sealing faucets are the only way to go.  That's all I can say.  I prefer the Perlick style with the swinging ball, because the Intertap is forward sealing but still has a sliding shuttle mechanism that requires disassembling for thorough cleaning, and can still have a slightly stiff action after sitting for a while.   The Perlick type is very simple, and can be cleaned in place. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:34:35 pm »
Forward sealing faucets are the only way to go.

+1. I use Perlik 630SS faucets and never have a problem.

Sometimes you can un-stick the other faucets by pouring hot water on them, but it might take 10 minutes or more to loosen up, it's annoying to have to do that.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »
Right on.  Thanks guys!

I did see some comments about forward sealing faucets having a faster flow rate.  Is it worth looking at ones with flow control, or should that not be too much of a concern?

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:24:59 pm »
I have used flow control faucets and found that they actually exacerbate foaming problems due to insufficient restriction for the level of carbonation,  because they introduce turbulence right at the point where there ceases to be any further restriction  -- the end of the line.  In fact, the presence of the flow control mechanism, even when fully open, can cause this problem even where the system is otherwise balanced and beer would pour perfectly with a standard faucet.  Ideally, use a non flow control faucet and balance the system properly through correct pressure and line length.  But if flow control is desired, (for example to accommodate serving differently or irregularly carbonated beers,) I have found that there is a far better solution -- placing it at the beginning of the line, via a flow control keg disconnect:
 https://www.williamsbrewing.com/-KegLand-Stainless-Flow-Control-Ball-Lock-Threaded-P4747.aspx

I would, based on experience, absolutely advise against flow control faucets.  Money spent, life not made easier.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:08:25 am »
That's good info.  I guess after the holidays I'm going to be faucet shopping.  Thanks!

Online BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 08:33:22 am »
I have Perlick fwd sealing flow control faucets connected directly to the keg QD(s). I like this set up because I have no beer lines to clean, get a great pour, and no sticking between pours. I’ve heard folks getting leaks, all sorts of bad pours, and other problems but I haven’t had these issues with my faucets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:55:06 am »
Forward sealing faucets are the only way to go.

+1. I use Perlik 630SS faucets and never have a problem.

Sometimes you can un-stick the other faucets by pouring hot water on them, but it might take 10 minutes or more to loosen up, it's annoying to have to do that.

Charlie

I keep a bottle of ethyl rubbing alcohol handy (you can use isopropyl as well) and spray it into the end of my Perlick faucets.  This usually frees them up after a few minutes.  Which reminds me, I need to clean the faucets again!  :D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 03:22:30 pm »
I'm willing to bet if you take the faucet apart you'll find the 2 pieces inside of it are either partial brass or all brass now. They used to be chrome plated and it wore off. Mine was sticking too and that's what I found when I took everything apart. make sure your new ones are all SS.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 03:27:36 pm »
I'm willing to bet if you take the faucet apart you'll find the 2 pieces inside of it are either partial brass or all brass now. They used to be chrome plated and it wore off. Mine was sticking too and that's what I found when I took everything apart. make sure your new ones are all SS.
+1

SS is usually only marginally more expensive than chromed brass, and will last forever, while the chrome wears quickly and may necessitate frequent replacements negating any initial savings.  While you are replacing faucets, make sure your shanks and tailpieces are also replaced with SS for the same reason.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 08:43:18 am »

Thanks for the tip.  Although I think the faucets should be okay.  They're these ones: https://www.micromatic.com/taps-faucets-and-shanks-for-beer-kegs/polished-304-stainless-steel-faucet-304.  Pretty much all the hardware in my keezer is from Micro Matic.  I'll definitely be sticking with all SS when looking at new ones.  And who knows, maybe when I take the existing ones apart, I'll find there was a build up or something else going on.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:37 am »
+1 for Perlick!!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:04:30 pm »
Just circling back with an update on this.  I placed an order today for two Perlick 630SS faucets.  I should have them in a couple days, and hopefully get them installed this weekend.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 05:50:16 pm »
[I keep a bottle of ethyl rubbing alcohol handy (you can use isopropyl as well) and spray it into the end of my Perlick faucets.

Please use ethanol, not iso-propyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized to form acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver, and you don't really want a lot of acetone circulating around in your blood stream.

In every aspect of brewing it is best to use ethanol. Everclear 151 proof calculates out to 75.5% ethanol, and can be used right out of the bottle for sanitizing all sorts of stuff without any risk of toxicity (unless you drink it. lol ;-).

I keep a Home Depot spray bottle of Everclear 151 in the brew room, and it's useful for all sorts of stuff. A couple of months ago I was kegging a brew and a house fly started buzzing the kegs. So I picked up the only thing I had at hand which was my ethanol spray, and hit him square with a jet mid-flight, and the dumb thing dropped to the floor like a pole axed steer! Ever since then I keep the bottle with me while brewing to cope with the various flies and wasps that like to plague you when you boil wort, and not one has gotten away! The ethanol incapacitates the varmints by wetting their wings, but doesn't actually kill them, so at some point you have to either step on them or spray them again.

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:02:00 pm by charlie »
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 06:05:15 pm »

Everclear 151 ... can be used right out of the bottle ... without any risk of toxicity (unless you drink it. lol ;-).

Charlie

Truth.  I did some rigorous testing on this when stuck in a blizzard on my 19th birthday.  To this day I will solemnly aver that the only safe application for Everclear involves a bottle which will spray it directly away from your person.  ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio