Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsh: Why use a particular hop?  (Read 11121 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Kolsh: Why use a particular hop?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 07:38:02 am »
Hmmm interesting. Probably usually Use them Interchangeably. I haven’t done a home brewed small batch kolsch in a very long time so I will try the single charge next time I brew one. When brewing commercially it doesn’t make a lot of sense to use you expensive hops as buttering/aroma only. I use a charge of Magnum and then an aroma hop at WP. Crystal has been my go to over the years but Hallertauer Mittlefruh, Madarina, Blanc, etc .... I’ve had fun playing with all of those as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »
Hmmm interesting. Probably usually Use them Interchangeably. I haven’t done a home brewed small batch kolsch in a very long time so I will try the single charge next time I brew one. When brewing commercially it doesn’t make a lot of sense to use you expensive hops as buttering/aroma only. I use a charge of Magnum and then an aroma hop at WP. Crystal has been my go to over the years but Hallertauer Mittlefruh, Madarina, Blanc, etc .... I’ve had fun playing with all of those as well

I had a serious chuckcle reading this message. Buttering! lol

Don't you just loathe "AutoCorrect"? It needs a better name.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 04:57:54 pm »
I use magnum for bittering my kölsch and it has won many awards. Try it and see how you like it.
US or German? I find US to have a little more aroma.

TBN had a podcast where Vinnie Cilurzo (of Russian River fame) was praising Magnum hops, and recommended that they do a SMASH using Magnum. He also touted Crystal hops. So I made two SMASHes with only Magnum and Crystal, and was totally unimpressed. To be perfectly fair I was a newbie then, and the nuance may have escaped me. But I have a pound of Crystal leaf in the freezer. Hmmmmm , .....

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 05:02:37 pm »

Don't you just loathe "AutoCorrect"? It needs a better name.

Charlie

I always call it autocorrupt.   My phone finally gave up and accepts that.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
I always call it autocorrupt.   My phone finally gave up and accepts that.

Sounds good! I'm gonna go with that.

Charlie

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 09:40:59 pm »
Late to the party, but the greatest all-time bittering hop is without question Clusters.

This really shouldn't be a conversation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 08:18:04 am »
Late to the party, but the greatest all-time bittering hop is without question Clusters.

I could have written that for you..... ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 08:26:00 am »

I love Cluster to death, but maybe not in a Kölsch?!  Then again I love Fuggle so what do I know, eh Denny?   (In fact I love the combination, I do a CAP I call Cluster Fuggle... but that's a different issue I should deal with I guess.  )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 09:42:33 am »

I love Cluster to death, but maybe not in a Kölsch?!  Then again I love Fuggle so what do I know, eh Denny?   (In fact I love the combination, I do a CAP I call Cluster Fuggle... but that's a different issue I should deal with I guess.  )

I can see that working in a CAP.

YCH had a beer on tap at HomebrewCon that was called Cluster Fugget. Equal parts of Cluster, Fuggles, and Nugget (they gave packaged ounces away). I liked it! I plan to do a Pale Ale like that, as those 3 are in the freezer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 09:43:49 am »

YCH had a beer on tap at HomebrewCon that was called Cluster Fugget. Equal parts of Cluster, Fuggles, and Nugget (they gave packaged ounces away). I liked it! I plan to do a Pale Ale like that, as those 3 are in the freezer.

I made a beer dry hopped with the Cluster Fugget and loved it!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 11:21:29 am »

Wow, Denny liked something with Fuggles in it, and after having a couple intended brewday put off till today, I decided I'd better do a sort of vitality starter with the slurry I'd had waiting to repitch.  You never know what might happen in this world.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 11:26:20 am »

Wow, Denny liked something with Fuggles in it, and after having a couple intended brewday put off till today, I decided I'd better do a sort of vitality starter with the slurry I'd had waiting to repitch.  You never know what might happen in this world.

:D. The blend aucessfully covered up what I dislike about Fuggles.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 06:03:55 pm »
UPDATE: We may not have to worry about it. Hops Direct has been unable to get German Hallertau. They're still trying, but it's not looking good.

I looked at the "Substitutions" pages, and what I see is all garbage.

I brewed the GF her third 10 gal batch of Kolsh yesterday and used the last of my real Hallertau. So next time it's going to be Magnum. Whatcha wanna bet she can't tell the diff? lol

Charlie

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 06:49:21 pm »
The newest crop of German hops usually doesn’t hit the sites until mid/late first quarter of the following year.  You’ll prob be able to get them soon at most of the popular hop shops.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 06:49:45 pm »
UPDATE: We may not have to worry about it. Hops Direct has been unable to get German Hallertau. They're still trying, but it's not looking good.

I looked at the "Substitutions" pages, and what I see is all garbage.

I brewed the GF her third 10 gal batch of Kolsh yesterday and used the last of my real Hallertau. So next time it's going to be Magnum. Whatcha wanna bet she can't tell the diff? lol

Charlie
Hallertau Tradition is a decent substitute, Charlie.  That's what it was bred for, and it's closer to the mark than any other replacement I know of.  I see Hops Direct has 2018 pellets.  Cheers!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio