Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to age  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Scholastic Brewer

• 1st Kit
When to age
« on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:08 pm »
Hey all,
I want to brew an imperial stout for my brother-in-law-to-be's bachelor party. I found a recipe that I think I will use, but am wondering when I should brew it to get the best tasting beer, or to generalize more- is there some rule of thumb as to when aging a beer will help it's flavor?

A few other details:
the Party is in April. And I'm using the "Death Metal" recipe found in "Extreme Brewing". The target ABV is 9.9% and the stout should come in pretty hoppy, (the recipe says 100 IBU, IDK if this will factor into the question at all). Despite being otherwise pretty comprehensive the recipe doesn't make any mention of aging. I've just seen this pointed out in a few other Imperial stout recipies so I thought I would ask.

Look forward to hearing all of your thoughts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When to age
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:32:11 am »
I'd say you could brew it any time.  Probably the sooner the better, but no huge rush.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
Probably the sooner the better, but no huge rush.

I agree with this.  I've got an imperial stout that I've had tapped for about 6 months now.  I'm going through it slowly, and like it better each time I have a glass.  It's definitely personal taste, but I think this style does better with a little maturing time.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:52 am »
I agree with Joe and Denny.  Imperial stouts always get better with age.  The flavors mellow out more and the roastiness and hops will meld to make the beer smoother.
We brewed one at my local brew clubs.  It is about a month and a half old now and will get better if I can keep out of the keg for that long  :D.  It tastes pretty good now, though.  Someone once said that patience is a virtue.  I just have to keep reminding myself of that!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:50 am »
I currently have a Russian Imperial Stout that I kegged in July to be ready by Christmas. I'm wishing I had kegged it a month earlier. I like to give Imperial Stout's a good 6 months or more to condition. I have a recipe for another that was posted recently on Ron Pattinson's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins, in which he recommends conditioning for 2 years!
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:46:58 am »
I know of a very successful homebrewer that routinely enters his RIS beers after a year in the bottle (bottle conditioned) and has consistently medaled with them.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:55:41 am »
I know of a very successful homebrewer that routinely enters his RIS beers after a year in the bottle (bottle conditioned) and has consistently medaled with them.

Yep, a well made and packaged strong beer can easily improve with that much age.  I once took a BOS with a 5 year old BW.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Scholastic Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:22:53 pm »
Awesome. I'll get the ingredients this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Offline Barbarian Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:03:45 pm »
Yep, a well made and packaged strong beer can easily improve with that much age.  I once took a BOS with a 5 year old BW.

FIVE YEARS???  Did you intentionally age it five years or did it just get shoved to the back of the shelf and forgotten?  I can't imagine having the will power to intentionally leave any beer alone that long!   I am impressed....and jealous!   :)
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot." -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 08:23:43 am »

FIVE YEARS???  Did you intentionally age it five years or did it just get shoved to the back of the shelf and forgotten?  I can't imagine having the will power to intentionally leave any beer alone that long!   I am impressed....and jealous!   :)

No, I intentionally set it aside.  Some bottles made it to 8 years.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:28:36 am »
The most I made it to was 12 years on a BW and the same on a mead.  Some hold up well; some don't (I had a Belgian Dubbel that was barely drinkable after 6 years).  Just set them aside in a cool place in a cellar or basement and ignore the calendar for a while....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 11:28:46 am »
The most I made it to was 12 years on a BW and the same on a mead.  Some hold up well; some don't (I had a Belgian Dubbel that was barely drinkable after 6 years).  Just set them aside in a cool place in a cellar or basement and ignore the calendar for a while....

Most Belgian beers, especially dubbel, aren't meant to be aged.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 02:33:24 pm »
I have some 17 year old cherry mead and 16 year old raspberry mead,  both 18%.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 09:08:29 am »

Most Belgian beers, especially dubbel, aren't meant to be aged.

Yea - that Dubbel was not intentionally aged.  Just got pushed to the back of a shelf....