Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Other questions regarding keg preparations  (Read 2659 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Other questions regarding keg preparations
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 04:48:19 pm »
I just cleaned 10 kegs yesterday.  I filled them w hot water and added DIY PBW.  Soaked overnight, dumped, rinsed, and filled one w StarSan.  I add a jumper and push out the filled sanitized keg to another.  I repeat until all kegs have been filled and emptied.  I cutoff all my gas tubes to where they are flush inside the keg.  The pressurized kegs are inverted, then I'll completely empty out of the gas poppit.  I'll leave them with pressure until they are ready to fill.  I too usually do not clean kegs as soon as they are empty.  Maybe I should, but I never do as they are never any harder to clean. 
Jeff B

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:12 am »
I just cleaned 10 kegs yesterday.  I filled them w hot water and added DIY PBW.  Soaked overnight, dumped, rinsed, and filled one w StarSan.  I add a jumper and push out the filled sanitized keg to another.  I repeat until all kegs have been filled and emptied.  I cutoff all my gas tubes to where they are flush inside the keg.  The pressurized kegs are inverted, then I'll completely empty out of the gas poppit.  I'll leave them with pressure until they are ready to fill.  I too usually do not clean kegs as soon as they are empty.  Maybe I should, but I never do as they are never any harder to clean.

Why did you cutoff your gas tubes to where they were flush?  What does this accomplish?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 10:09:16 am »

Why did you cutoff your gas tubes to where they were flush?  What does this accomplish?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You can get all of the sanitizer out by tipping the over. I do this over my utility sink, and put a ball lock gas in fitting, no hose, on the gas post to empty.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!