Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil time question  (Read 2093 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Boil time question
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:31:27 am »
If one were brewing an extract version of an IPA without any bittering hop additions, is there any advantage to boiling longer than say 15 minutes?  15 minutes seems to a recommended time in order to kill off any bacteria. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Boil time question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 11:51:31 am »
Great question.  No, there is no advantage.  Personally, if I were you, I would only boil for 10 minutes, which is plenty enough time to kill wild organisms.

Enjoy!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:54:53 pm »
Great question.  No, there is no advantage.  Personally, if I were you, I would only boil for 10 minutes, which is plenty enough time to kill wild organisms.

Enjoy!

Thanks.

Fermenting, Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
There is one advantage of boiling for X time: if you know your boil off rate, you will hit an expected specific gravity. If you boil less time, you won’t hit your specific gravity. If you’re ok with that then… there ya go.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 02:51:38 pm »
There is one advantage of boiling for X time: if you know your boil off rate, you will hit an expected specific gravity. If you boil less time, you won’t hit your specific gravity. If you’re ok with that then… there ya go.

If he's using extract I don't see a problem.  You won't lose much in a 15 minute boil so you can start with pretty much your finished volume.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 03:04:35 pm »
If all you are looking to do is pasteurize, you don't need to boil at all. You just need to reach 160F. By the time you reach this temp, all microbes of brewing concern will be dead.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:29 am »

If he's using extract I don't see a problem.  You won't lose much in a 15 minute boil so you can start with pretty much your finished volume.

Not planning a full volume boil anyway as my friend only has a 5 gal pot.   

Fermenting, Saison

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 09:15:16 am »
If one were brewing an extract version of an IPA without any bittering hop additions, is there any advantage to boiling longer than say 15 minutes?  15 minutes seems to a recommended time in order to kill off any bacteria.

i tried creating a super short brewday method i could use where it was cold-steeped specialty grains (passive time 12-24 hours before brewday), then all extract and a 20 min boil with a lot of hops at 20 and on down to 0.

it could have been my own personal failure to do so, but it did not make a very good beer, it severely lacked bitterness and flavour.

maybe others have a good ~15 min boil technique, and for sure try it out, but thats my experience. it could have been many factors at play.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 09:32:24 am »

i tried creating a super short brewday method i could use where it was cold-steeped specialty grains (passive time 12-24 hours before brewday), then all extract and a 20 min boil with a lot of hops at 20 and on down to 0.

it could have been my own personal failure to do so, but it did not make a very good beer, it severely lacked bitterness and flavour.

maybe others have a good ~15 min boil technique, and for sure try it out, but thats my experience. it could have been many factors at play.

Sounds like the OP is using hopped extract so bittering shouldn't be an issue. When I was developing my 20 min mash/20 min boil technique I found that doubling the bittering hops got it where I needed to be.  Late additions is were not altered.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 09:49:02 am »
Due to circumstances I've been using mostly extract for a long time and boil anywhere from 0-20 minutes with good results.
I recently did a BIAB stout for the first time and it came out good with a 20 minute boil.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 03:42:31 pm »
I find all posts/replies most interesting. Thanks to all. Guess I've been an all grain brewer too long and forgot about the extract short boil :)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 11:13:41 am »
I've thought about this, too. Rather than risk boiling-off the hops put in by the maker of the pre-hopped extract, I've decided to just bring the wort to a temperature a little short of boiling and keep it there for about ten minutes. Water boils at 204 degrees F where I live, so I'm thinking 195 degrees F would do the job.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 11:14:51 am »
I've thought about this, too. Rather than risk boiling-off the hops put in by the maker of the pre-hopped extract, I've decided to just bring the wort to a temperature a little short of boiling and keep it there for about ten minutes. Water boils at 204 degrees F where I live, so I'm thinking 195 degrees F would do the job.

Yep. Even 165.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 09:16:25 pm »

Yep. Even 165.
That's the same temperature we very often see to which to heat things we're going to eat. Heating to just 165 - 170 would provide a good cushion against scorching...