Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing "dry Bean" coffee  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Sanitizing "dry Bean" coffee
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:19:59 pm »
I've read about dry beaning coffee where you add coarsely cracked beans to the secondary, but I wonder is there some way to sanitize them without using vodka or destroying the coffee flavor?  If so, how?  My beer is estimated at 5.1 ABV.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sanitizing "dry Bean" coffee
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:24:05 pm »
I've read about dry beaning coffee where you add coarsely cracked beans to the secondary, but I wonder is there some way to sanitize them without using vodka or destroying the coffee flavor?  If so, how?  My beer is estimated at 5.1 ABV.

I never have and have never found it necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:16:42 pm »
You could put them in the oven for a short time.  When I put cacao nibs into a stout, I first put them in the oven for a short time.  300 degrees for about 12 minutes.  Just spread them out on a cookie sheet.  I don't recall ever hearing about this being done with coffee though.  May give your beans a more roasted flavor.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 03:08:46 pm »
I think it would be unusual for anything bad to live on roasted coffee beans.  I have always coarsely crushed them and added them in a permeable bag to the fermenter or the keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 06:55:24 am »
I have always used about 1/4 cup whole beans in a hop sack dangling in the kettle about 5-10 minutes before the end of the boil.  Adds a wonderful coffee background without adding any color.  The more coffee you use, and the longer it dangles, the more coffee flavor.  No cracking and no need to sanitize.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 06:34:40 am »

I never sanitize the beans.  I just put them into the secondary.  I have never had a problem doing this.  The alcohol in the beer will kill anything residing on the surface of the beans.
Secondly, I do not crack the beans, I just add the whole beans.  You will extract the flavor from the beans but not as much caffeine as you would get from cracking them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:59:48 am »

The ph of fermented beer and the alcohol present make it very inhospitable to anything that might spoil your beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 11:47:57 am »

The ph of fermented beer and the alcohol present make it very inhospitable to anything that might spoil your beer.

Yeah. If I was guessing, I'd say more pH than alcohol.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 09:54:39 am »
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:52:00 pm »
It's tough to get an infection from coffee beans unless you are leaving the beans exposed to some reckless conditions. Coffee roasts hit their peak above 400F so the beans are coming out of the roaster pretty clean. In most cases they are going from the roaster to packaging line to a fairly clean bag and then you are probably scooping right out of that bag into a clean vessel to weigh and then adding it to the beer. I won't say the beans are microbe free but there should be so few organisms on the beans that the probability of an infection coming from the beans to the beer is slight after accounting for ph, anaerobic conditions and ethanol in the beer. If you leave open bags of coffee where you mill grain or create some other way for more hearty organisms to populate the coffee beans then you should sanitize those beans.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:51 am »
Most dried ingredients are safe to use without any type of sanitization. Aside from wild yeast and stuff like standard kitchen bacteria, beer spoilage bacteria  mostly becomes an issue when it builds up over time in places where it thrives: Such as wort and beer or similar mediums. Dirty hoses, fermentors, racking canes, aeration stones .... stuff that comes in contact with wort. Not all micro organisms are beer spoilers. For instance, your beer can't catch a cold!

Even in the case of fruit picked straight off the vine/tree I have added these to finished beer and not really picked up any majorly weird infections (assuming the beer is relatively dry). On occasion some interesting wild yeast and sour flavors will occur but I can't recall it ever ruining the beer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:05:39 am by majorvices »

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 06:53:43 am »
Very interesting article on coffee beers from craft beer.com.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/jeff-duggan-mad-scientist-behind-dozens-of-medal-winning-coffee-beers

That's definitely an interesting article. I wish they would go a bit more into the roast profile Jeff has used to successfully eliminated the green pepper flavor. Even though I probably wouldn't be able to replicate it at home, I might be able to find a local roaster who puts out something similar.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 10:28:46 am »
Very interesting article on coffee beers from craft beer.com.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/jeff-duggan-mad-scientist-behind-dozens-of-medal-winning-coffee-beers

That's definitely an interesting article. I wish they would go a bit more into the roast profile Jeff has used to successfully eliminated the green pepper flavor. Even though I probably wouldn't be able to replicate it at home, I might be able to find a local roaster who puts out something similar.
Perhaps you could talk with a roaster.  I think it is likely they know what you are looking for. Or maybe willing to work with you on something as a test. After all, we likely don’t need a lot of it.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”