Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SafAle™ T-58 time for fermentation  (Read 3000 times)

Offline poeudore

• 1st Kit
SafAle™ T-58 time for fermentation
« on: December 03, 2019, 08:15:45 pm »
Hi everyone! I am new on here and also I just started with my first time homebrew. I recently brewed a Belgian Blond using Safbrew T58, and I am not so clear about the fermentation temperature and days before I start bottling.

Thank you!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SafAle™ T-58 time for fermentation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:14:53 am »
Temp shpuld be 65-70 for the beer, not the ambient temp.  Time is unknown...you'll have to take a gravity reading to know when it's done and ready to bottle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 12:06:29 pm »
Since it is your first post - Welcome to the Forum.  Also, to be clear, hydrometer readings that remain stable over 3 consecutive days usually mean that the primary fermentation is complete... but there are exceptions (some yeast have an infamous "stall").

Keep your fermentation (beer temperature, as Denny says) cooler than 64 or so, unless using a yeast that likes it warm (see Kviek and some Belgians) and watch it for an undisputed lack of further activity (airlocks are notoriously unreliable), then begin to take your daily readings (a week or so after pitching, if you want a typical period to use).  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline poeudore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »
Thank you so much guys for your reply ;). I will do the hydrometer reading that remain stable over 3 consecutive days.

OG - 1060
Today reading - Day-1 - 1006

And the estimate final gravity should be 1.010

I will ready that again tomorrow. And  i really appreciate your help :)

Cheers,

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:51:11 pm »
Just remember that the refractometer reading is not the same as a hydrometer reading after fermentation occurs.  You will need to adjust for that....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:03:42 am »
Thank you so much guys for your reply ;). I will do the hydrometer reading that remain stable over 3 consecutive days.

OG - 1060

Cheers,

Unless you've brewed the recipe several times and have experience with it, don't take FG estimates too seriously.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 10:30:53 am »
   I have had T-58 stall for several days before continuing to finish the beer, the fermentation temp was stable, and IIRC FG was about 5 or 6 points lower than the SG at the beginning of the stall. TIFWIW.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline poeudore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 09:44:56 pm »
Thank you so much guys for your reply :) Cheers

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 05:59:38 am »

OG - 1060

Cheers,

Unless you've brewed the recipe several times and have experience with it, don't take FG estimates too seriously.

You could do a fast ferment test to get you a fairly good idea where you’ll end up the first time you brew it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 07:35:46 am »

OG - 1060

Cheers,

You could do a fast ferment test to get you a fairly good idea where you’ll end up the first time you brew it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great point.  But it still points out not to take an FG estimate as fact without testing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline poeudore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 07:53:30 pm »
Thanks for all the tips and the final gravity now is still: 1.006 and should be not a big issues right?
Cheers,

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 11:48:58 am »
Thanks for all the tips and the final gravity now is still: 1.006 and should be not a big issues right?
Cheers,

Correct

www.dennybrew.com