Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: help balancing keg lines  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
help balancing keg lines
« on: November 14, 2019, 08:40:22 am »
Anyone have a good link or advice to help me get my keg lines balanced? My pours aren't horrible but I would like to improve them. Right now I think I am using standard size lines (3/16" ID) that are about 6 feet long. My converted garage fridge is at 38F and my regulator is usually around 9 PSI.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: help balancing keg lines
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 08:41:58 am »

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 09:11:48 am »
Here is an excellent calculator:

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

And for a workaround, I find the Kegland flow control ball lock disconnects, available from William's Brewing, are very handy.  They are, IME, far superior to flow control faucets, which can merely exacerbate foaming problems by introducing turbulence right at the point where there ceases to be any further restriction.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 09:16:26 am »
To reduce foaming, lengthen your lines, although your line length doesn't seem completely out of whack.  Buy longer lines and trim length to you get a good balance of speed with some foam.

Also you could use epoxy mixers in 1/4" line to get good the proper resistance.  I buy mine from McMaster Carr.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:50 am »
If you have towers, get a fan for them.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:39:33 am »
Thanks!

No towers. Taps come directly out of the fridge however I do need some better taps at some point as well.

I will have to confirm my line diameter but according to the calculator that Robert shared I should be at about 8.5' if I bump my CO2 vols up closer to 2.4 which would be preferred. It hasn't been horrible by any means so hopefully a little extra distance will do it. I have 4 taps so I will probably start with one to see.

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 07:04:45 pm »
I generally run 5 foot goses at 2lbs per foot in my keezer. Adjust a little as needed.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline Greg Turley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »
Here is an excellent calculator:

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

And for a workaround, I find the Kegland flow control ball lock disconnects, available from William's Brewing, are very handy.  They are, IME, far superior to flow control faucets, which can merely exacerbate foaming problems by introducing turbulence right at the point where there ceases to be any further restriction.

this

narvin

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:57:06 am »
I recently learned (after buying some, of course) that oxygen barrier tubing like Bevseal Ultra has about half of the resistance of the traditional vinyl tubing.  So, for 3/16" tubing you'd need about 12-15 feet for an average CO2 level.  I decided to swap it for EVA barrier, another double wall tubing with a barrier layer, because it comes in a 4mm ID which lets you use more traditional line lengths.  Haven't got it up and running yet but so far I like the push to fit connectors.  No more hose clamps!

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 08:11:10 am »
I recently learned (after buying some, of course) that oxygen barrier tubing like Bevseal Ultra has about half of the resistance of the traditional vinyl tubing.  So, for 3/16" tubing you'd need about 12-15 feet for an average CO2 level.  I decided to swap it for EVA barrier, another double wall tubing with a barrier layer, because it comes in a 4mm ID which lets you use more traditional line lengths.  Haven't got it up and running yet but so far I like the push to fit connectors.  No more hose clamps!
I've switched everything to EVA barrier tubing and Duotight PTC fittings and couldn't be happier.  You'll love it.  (Only need about 3 ft line at 10 psig.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 01:46:08 pm »
I've switched everything to EVA barrier tubing and Duotight PTC fittings and couldn't be happier.  You'll love it.  (Only need about 3 ft line at 10 psig.)

Where did you get it, Rob?  I think the next time I have to replace lines, I might go this route since I have more foaming issues with my IPA's of if I leave beers in the lagering freezer at 10 PSI for more than a week (I serve at about 8 psig). This might help and yes I did all the calculations to tome up with the right lengths with the vinyl tubing I got from the Grape.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 01:47:20 pm »

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:56:03 pm »
I got everything from William's Brewing.  Well I might have gotten a fitting or two from MoreBeer along the way, but William's seemed to have the most complete line of stuff.  I think the prices are pretty  much the same  between them.  Another plus to the EVA barrier tubing is that it actually costs a lot less per foot than Bevlex vinyl.   Can't beat better AND cheaper!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Greg Turley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 04:42:22 am »