Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adventures in Homebrewing White Claw Kits  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Charles Wolfe

• 1st Kit
Adventures in Homebrewing White Claw Kits
« on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:43 am »
Good Morning brewers,

I recently picked up two of the AiH White Claw kits to brew and was wondering if anyone had any experience, tips or tricks to share regarding them. They include sugar, water, yeast, fining agent, salts and flavoring. The instructions are very straight forward but I was wondering if anyone would recommend adding anything to it like lactose or maltodextrin for mouthfeel.

Also I previously made a sudo White Claw by adding water, vodka, gypsum, and citrus juice which turned out well. The only thing I need help with from this experiment was with carbonation. I had it kegged and carbed to a nice bubbly level but everytime I would pour a glass it would be super fizzy then after a few minutes it was somewhat flatter than desired. Does anyone have tricks to hold that nice fizzy mouthfeel for longer.

Thanks Everyone,

Charles Wolfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Adventures in Homebrewing White Claw Kits
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:11:22 pm »
Enhancing the mouthfeel is kinda contrary to the purpose isn't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Charles Wolfe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
True, but a white claw has a slight viscosity that was missing. I think it might be better once it ferments rather than using vodka and water.

P.S. keep up the good work on the podcast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:28:19 pm »
True, but a white claw has a slight viscosity that was missing. I think it might be better once it ferments rather than using vodka and water.

P.S. keep up the good work on the podcast.

Thanks!  About to record the next one.

Never having had a White Claw, I didn't realize that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:09:18 am »
 My first go at a hard seltzer I included lactose for sweetness and maltodextrine for mouthfeel and retaining carbonation, the general consensus from the target audience was double the lactose and ditch the maltodextrine. The beer drinkers in general don't waste their time & money on seltzers, the non beer drinkers who are mostly Ladies, want carbonated sugary fruit drinks with zero mouthfeel or viscosity. The cranberry seltzer which followed was much more popular with the seltzer crowd.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:11:07 am »
You might try adding a small amount of food-grade glycerol (glycerine).  It's occasionally used in winemaking to add more body.

Also, what psi are you carbonating?  When I make soda water, I carbonate to 30 psi.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 09:49:24 pm »
You might try adding a small amount of food-grade glycerol (glycerine).  It's occasionally used in winemaking to add more body.

Also, what psi are you carbonating?  When I make soda water, I carbonate to 30 psi.

Same thoughts on both points.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 10:53:39 am »
   Bottle conditioned to ~2 volumes, probably would go over better at closer to 3 volumes. As I discovered and probably should have already know or suspected, seltzer drinkers in general don't want body or mouthfeel, but do like fizzy.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!