Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post-dry hop maturation?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Re: Post-dry hop maturation?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 09:47:50 am »
Sometimes I will dry hop a beer in the keg and leave them in until the keg kicks.  I never get those weird flavors everybody talks about.

Same here

me three. standard procedure over here.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
Same here.  I do it nearly every batch since I brew mostly pale and IPA's.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 12:21:29 pm »
To the OP - these guys commenting here are experienced homebrewers and their suggestions are valid.  But closed loop transfers and trub dumping, hop settling and dumping, and minimal handling in exposed air environments are things you can learn over time and implement as you progress.  Your fermenter handles all of these processes with available accessories.  Look into it and do what you can and desire to do in terms of implementing the suggestions here. 

Cheers and welcome to a great forum!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 04:08:28 pm »
If it's about fun - and I think it is - don't lecture people with similar interests. With all due respect, I'm not trying to take homebrewing WAY too seriously. I'm keeping it simple w/gear and recipes and just learning the ins and outs. As you know, all the measurements matter. I'm just trying to learn to produce the beer the recipe says will result from generally following the directions but also learning parameters so I can adjust or come up with my own. There is nothing magical about 5 gallons. It doesn't matter if it's 5 gallons or 20 gallons. It simply occurred to me that if it's a 5-gallon recipe and my final output is, say, 42 12-oz. bottles, am I actually producing a beer that's stronger/hoppier/whatever than what the recipe writer intended?

And thanks, ynotbrusum, as well as for all the helpful comments.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Post-dry hop maturation?
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
  I'm wondering what is so magical about the 5 gallon number if you're bottling. ...

The only magic in 5 gal for me is the kegs I use (they’re all 5 gal).  Everything I do in the brewery is scaled to that 5 gal production target. I agree that if I bottled the keg capacity wouldn’t be such a hard target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 07:29:42 am »
I would leave the hops in the fermenter.  I see no reason and removing them and would unnecessarily add O2 in the process.

I’m with Jeffy. Since you’ve already made a decision stick with it this time. Going back and undoing it can cause more harm than good. Try the other technique next time. See which you prefer.

Besides, for everything you read about one homebrewing technique being better than another, there will be two counterpoints saying the opposite is true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UPDATE: FWIW, I took Jeffy & BrewBama's advice and left the bag in the fermenter for 11 days (beginning a week after pitching, w/fermentation apparently done) and removed it just before priming/bottling. After 18 days in the bottle, popped a cap for the bartender of a local Belgian tavern. He liked it, I did too. So all worked out. Like you said, BrewBama, more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks!