Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: gelatin with bottling  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: gelatin with bottling
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 10:17:46 am »
Fining, and even coarse filtration, leave yeast in the beer.  Only very tight sterile filtration will remove all yeast.  Beer that looks perfectly bright can still have many thousands of cells per milliliter, plenty to carbonate.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 10:22:37 am »
Fining, and even coarse filtration, leave yeast in the beer.  Only very tight sterile filtration will remove all yeast.  Beer that looks perfectly bright can still have many thousands of cells per milliliter, plenty to carbonate.

...can and probably should, but I wouldn't and won't bank on it. It really sucks when you wind up with a couple cases of flat beer that with proper carbonation would have been spectacular.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 11:24:28 am »

...can and probably should, but I wouldn't and won't bank on it. It really sucks when you wind up with a couple cases of flat beer that with proper carbonation would have been spectacular.

How did you know that was the problem?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 05:15:55 am »

I think, IMHO, much of this depends on the alcohol content.  I brewed a Heavy several years ago and after 10 days in the fermenter, 2 weeks in the secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle, the beer was flat.  In fact, I had to open each bottle and pitch more yeast.  After another 3 weeks, it was fine.  This was the only time this has happened and the last time I brewed a high ABV beer.  Gun shy, I suppose. :-\
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 05:53:49 am »

I've learned that with high alcohol beers, or with beers that have sat for many months, it pays during priming/bottling to co-pitch with just a couple grams of fresh yeast.  The yeast that is left behind from fermentation is very old and very tired.  A little sprinkle of a couple grams of US-05 or yeast of your choice can make a difference here to ensure proper carbonation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:55:34 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 10:35:32 am »

Cuz the beer was flat and remained that way? Other than insufficient healthy yeast, I'm drawing a blank on what would cause primed, bottled beer to fail to carbonate.
   To Dave's comment, IME also high gravity/high alcohol beers are always more challenging to bottle condition than lesser beers. I generally prime with saved wort from that brew, and ALWAYS inoculate it and verify active fermentation before pitching to the vessel and bottling. Most of the time I use harvested yeast from the same batch, but have also used CBC-1 quite a bit in the past. My experience is that harvested yeast is more reliable that rehydrating and pitching CBC-1. My process works reasonable well for everything except BIG & barrel aged beers, I bottled an IRIBA 4 weeks ago after 1 year in a barrel and it's just now up to ~1/2 to 1 volume of CO2. That one was OG 1.102 & FG 1.026 and it was primed with corn sugar. Another couple months and it might have enough carbonation to produce a week head ;).
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!