Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Up grade in brewing equipment and recipes  (Read 1052 times)

Offline tbrecks23@

• 1st Kit
Up grade in brewing equipment and recipes
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:07:51 pm »
Hello,
I have been brewing for about 2-3 months now. I get a lot of my equipment and ingredients from Northern Brewer.com.

My question is when do I start thinking of up grading my equipment and start learning how to make beer recipes etc?

I enjoy doing this and I love sharing the beer to my family and friends.

Thanks,

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
Re: Up grade in brewing equipment and recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:12:34 pm »
When ever you feel ready to!  Some people never go beyond buying kits and enjoy brewing just fine.  Others plunge in with both feet and end up with near nano breweries in their homes.  The level you want to go is up to you and how far you want to go with it.  The speed at which you get there is based upon your confidence and desire to get there.

Welcome to the obsession!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 06:51:39 pm »
The book Mastering Homebrewing by Randy Mosher contains my favorite methods for learning how to design recipes. There is a lot more to it than just throwing together some malt, hops and yeast in water. There is a whole world of grains to become familiar with not to mention adjuncts. Then an equally dizzying array of hops and then yeast. All have their own characteristics. Some work together well and some don't. I found Randy's book a solid resource for making sense of it all.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 06:58:27 am »
Hello,

My question is when do I start thinking of up grading my equipment and start learning how to make beer recipes etc?

Thanks,

Upgrading your equipment depends on exactly what equipment you already have.  You may already have some, or most, of the equipment you need.  Also, you need to consider the batch quantity you will be brewing - 3 gallon, 5 gallon, etc.

I went from extract, to BIAB and to all grain inside of 18 months.  From a pot on the stove to a full blown 5 gallon stationary brewery equipped with valves, pumps, piping, filters, water supply, etc.  Further, I never brewed anyone else’s recipe.  Every all grain batch I ever brewed was my own.  Were they all good?  Heck no!  But with failure comes learning.  Now, after reading darn near every home brewing book out there, as well as participating in forums such as this one, I’m making pretty good brews.  So, evaluate what you want your end-game to be and take the plunge!

Good Luck!

Edit:  I also used BeerSmith software to help formulate my recipes.  That was a big help.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:46:27 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 07:02:34 am »
Concentrate on controlling the fermentation first. You make the beer with your process. You would surprised to see the basic equipment that some frequent winners use, they do have good consistent processes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:48:59 am »
Concentrate on controlling the fermentation first. You make the beer with your process. You would surprised to see the basic equipment that some frequent winners use, they do have good consistent processes.

+1 ^^^^
My beer took a dramatic turn for the better after I began using a fermentation chamber to control my fermentation temperature.  Very good point, hopfenundmaltz.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 07:21:36 am »
Biggest single step up in my brewing was fermentation temperature control.  After that, it was all grain brewing for controlling mash, then finally, water sourcing and treatment.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 09:10:51 am »
First 2 things to consider are: 1) do you enjoy your product, and 2) do you enjoy your process?  If the answer to both questions is "yes", then you don't really need to change anything.  Buy some books and concentrate on recipe formulation.  If you don't enjoy your product or process, then make upgrades to your system that address both issues AND set you up for all-grain brewing (which provides for more recipe variability).  In either case, buy more books and read a lot. Knowledge is key.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 04:59:42 pm »

Equipment: As you progress you will identify the weak spots in your process. Attack each problem as it appears based on severity, and pretty soon you'll be comfortable with your equipment. It helps to join a homebrew club and visit others on brew day to see their equipment and procedures.

Making your own recipes: Download a brewing program such as BeerSmith and punch your kits in as recipes. Pay attention to the built in style guidelines. Identify commercial brews that you like and google clone recipes. Don't stop with just one clone; look at three or four. See what they have in common and what they do not. If the differences are confusing punch the numbers in a spreadsheet so that you can look at them side-by-side.

Above all, take lots of notes. You will be amazed when you look back on them and compare them against what worked, and what didn't.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!