Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Yeast Slurry?... Now I'm concerned about Lag Time!?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
Using Yeast Slurry?... Now I'm concerned about Lag Time!?
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:08:53 am »
So, it's my first time using slurry...

Mr Malty's Repitching from Slurry Calculator (default settings) said for a 10 litre batch @ 1.054 OG I required 76ml @ 60% Viability (been in the fermenter for 4 weeks at time of harvesting, so estimated harvest date at 3 weeks ago).

Now I'm concerned about Lag Time, so far it's been 18 hours with little sign of air lock (bubbles) activity. It's in a white plastic bucket so I can't really see what's going on inside?

Any feedback, suggestions or calming words folks?

Cheers! Dan :o

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:03:25 am by OhDannyBoy! »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Using Yeast Slurry?... Now I'm concerned about Lag Time!?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:09:19 am »
18 hours is a moment in terms of lag time.  Relax.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:32:00 am »
Airlock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation, especially when using a bucket. Bucket lids are notorious for not sealing well. Also, as Denny stated, 18 hours lag time isn't a problem. Give it another day and then try shining a strong flashlight or lamp from the back side of the bucket and look for a shadowy area above the liquid level.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:46 am »
Keep in mind too that lag time is more a problem in the minds of homebrewers than to the yeast. What we call "lag" is actually part of the normal yeast life cycle. Think of it as a distance runner eating pasta before before a big race. They are loading up in preparation for a big energy expenditure.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:20 am »
An example that might help.  I kegged a English Golden Ale on Tuesday that had taken 4 days to get started.  I think I learned a bit about London Ale III.  Like ambient temp ~54F may be too low for my timelines but once it gets going it gets the job done.

I ended up raising the wort up into the low 60's to get it rolling but only because I need the beer for a family get together on 12/21. 

Slow is okay, give the little beasties time to do there thing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 11:43:54 am »
Something else to consider.....did you just grab some slurry and pitch it, or did you create a starter with that slurry first? If you just pitched the slurry, then a longer lag time would be expected than if you created a starter and got the yeast active before pitching.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 10:31:04 am »
18 hours is a moment in terms of lag time.  Relax.

Phew!... Cheers Denny ;) Yeasties are happily bubbling away now! :D

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 10:37:09 am »
Airlock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation, especially when using a bucket. Bucket lids are notorious for not sealing well. Also, as Denny stated, 18 hours lag time isn't a problem. Give it another day and then try shining a strong flashlight or lamp from the back side of the bucket and look for a shadowy area above the liquid level.

Cheers Bob ;) I always make sure I have an airtight seal by applying a very small amount of pressure to the lid with my finger and seeing if the bubbler moves very slightly - very scientific I know :P First krausen is there now :D

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 10:38:25 am »
Keep in mind too that lag time is more a problem in the minds of homebrewers than to the yeast. What we call "lag" is actually part of the normal yeast life cycle. Think of it as a distance runner eating pasta before before a big race. They are loading up in preparation for a big energy expenditure.

Cheers Kevin ;)

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 10:40:37 am »
An example that might help.  I kegged a English Golden Ale on Tuesday that had taken 4 days to get started.  I think I learned a bit about London Ale III.  Like ambient temp ~54F may be too low for my timelines but once it gets going it gets the job done.

I ended up raising the wort up into the low 60's to get it rolling but only because I need the beer for a family get together on 12/21. 

Slow is okay, give the little beasties time to do there thing.

Paul

Cheers Paul ;)

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 10:46:39 am »
Something else to consider.....did you just grab some slurry and pitch it, or did you create a starter with that slurry first? If you just pitched the slurry, then a longer lag time would be expected than if you created a starter and got the yeast active before pitching.

Cheers Robert ;) I didn't make a starter, I took it out of the fridge on brewday morning, it's was at 18c by the time I pitched. Good to hear that it isn't a problem as a lot of writing seems to say 3-15 hrs for Lag Phase. I won't worry next time 8)

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:28 am »
Oh!... and I understand that different yeast strains behave differently, so just for any future reference, this was Wyeast 1098 British Ale. ;)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 06:09:48 am »
Another thing about using slurry is that you can try to time your batches so you are repitching immediately from a prior fermenter upon racking out from that primary.  This ensures highly viable yeast slurry.  Yesterday I racked a batch onto a yeast cake in a fermenter that I had just racked from, only cleaning off the Krausen ring with a sanitized paper towel.  I don’t do this often, but it is a bigger lager beer that just went in as the second batch...
Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 07:57:33 am »
Another thing about using slurry is that you can try to time your batches so you are repitching immediately from a prior fermenter upon racking out from that primary.  This ensures highly viable yeast slurry.  Yesterday I racked a batch onto a yeast cake in a fermenter that I had just racked from, only cleaning off the Krausen ring with a sanitized paper towel.  I don’t do this often, but it is a bigger lager beer that just went in as the second batch...
Cheers!

Cheers ;) At present I don't transfer for secondary/conditioning, just 3-4 weeks in same bucket for primary and a fair bit of secondary. I may consider changing my process when using slurry, it makes sense to pitch slurry when highly viable ;) Alternatively I may just make a vitality starter so it's raring to go! I understand that there will always be a Lag Phase though as the Yeasties have to acclimatise to there new environment and prepare to reproduce.