Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Working at new brewery!  (Read 3313 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Working at new brewery!
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:49:45 am »
For anyone interested: working at Straight To Ale in Huntsville, AL. Getting to learn a new system (30-35bbl steam internal Calandria). Also brewing on their 7 bbl pilot. Great crew and having a ton of fun! Have a new project in the works that I’ll relay as soon as it is made public but super fun stepping stone in the mean time and lots of great new experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Working at new brewery!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:08:58 am »
congrats Keith!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:12 am »
I knew you were up to something.

Less random Facebook posts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 09:55:19 am »
Awesome. What beers should we try? Anything special you have coming from that pilot system?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:31 am »
Awesome. What beers should we try? Anything special you have coming from that pilot system?
I’ll let you know eventually I have brewed 2 pilot batches so far gonna be a bit till they are ready

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:59:13 am »

Hahahahaha I’m done with beer reviews for the mean time

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 12:47:35 pm »

Hahahahaha I’m done with beer reviews for the mean time

I was worried about it. 

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 12:52:25 pm »
For anyone interested: working at Straight To Ale in Huntsville, AL. Getting to learn a new system (30-35bbl steam internal Calandria). Also brewing on their 7 bbl pilot. Great crew and having a ton of fun! Have a new project in the works that I’ll relay as soon as it is made public but super fun stepping stone in the mean time and lots of great new experience.

Good for you!  Is Straight To Ale the one in an old school building?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Working at new brewery!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 02:48:52 pm »
I was in STA today. I had the Pa Pa Porter with a Bistro Burger and some Chicharrones. Good stuff!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 03:30:26 pm »

Good for you!  Is Straight To Ale the one in an old school building?
Yes. Straight to Ale is in the gym of a former middle school. Although they have grown into more and more of the school building.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 04:31:09 am »
Yeah, old middle School building. The brewery itself is in the gym. I'll post some pictures soon because some of the stuff there is super freakin' cool. There is a "Speak easy" hidden behind some lockers...!

It's ... interesting being a founding partner and share holder of a brewery literally within walking distance of where I work now but I have known Dan Perry (Founder of Straight to Ale) since we were both homebrewers and we are going to be working on some really interesting projects together over the next year or two. I can't share it ye (signed NDA) but it is some truly exciting stuff that is going to transform the Southern Brew scene starting in Huntsville. He's giving me an opportunity to come in and learn brewing on their brew house and pilot and I will be releasing some fun recipes there.

The Head Brewer there is George Grandinetti. He has a rather impressive resume. He has worked at Rogue with John Maier, the original Bells (Kalamazoo) with Larry Bell and has worked with John Mallet who was a consultant at some Breckenridge Satellite breweries (now defunct). he's got some fun horrow stories for sure.

I'm not a fan of all the STA beers and, personally, I hope they let me instill a few processes down there that I feel could help the QC but overall they are killing it, have a truly great crew, and they're on an upward trajectory for sure.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 06:56:19 am »
Ask George if he has any Larry stories.  ;)

John Mallett does consulting, he was at SN Mills River often, from what I hear.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 01:53:44 pm »
I'm finally able to fully disclose the project I will be working on - Southern Brewer's CoOp - we hope to launch the new location sometime this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/coopbrewpubstovehouse/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAhFlp2L2E_cHu8yWXgpjX9_gFfTwutkR2iWXzx0SaDV6CNwsGcXlpl2YPIM_0MzZ-UaLCZyntkfo8K&fref=mentions&__xts__[0]=68.ARDEzq5yptOGTLF_GCfWiluEXB2LGytWaXjrA_zIgdYmOMwUY8JBCZWKNBjLCIQqH7gISBZEQw7n8s5JShJ2_Weqrn2AwCVTGb971U4RrcAongEDEJjoz9ccLqsvUJ-VR-QWYv6GVvsXjJCUa2mdjiPTvIfb41QDkEGXqJjFqzXlu-0V6Xc_eGzH4XPsootn6-tBNgXSHjUylylRdbfANtM--_3dGJst_LtLDkbJYnmm-aHP9MuCOSrXXQiAo6Hk_AH5DdQl2k_Qg0UGZxVYBSgk-Ar0yXPg_SyLlQ7XYzNatpU-yU3W-PsZcd7pDiKrYYaNoDkuZhq2yopAMUffA0Jz0OC-I92aVp-3NyAR1hpfMsV4

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 03:15:37 pm »
I'm finally able to fully disclose the project I will be working on - Southern Brewer's CoOp - we hope to launch the new location sometime this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/coopbrewpubstovehouse/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAhFlp2L2E_cHu8yWXgpjX9_gFfTwutkR2iWXzx0SaDV6CNwsGcXlpl2YPIM_0MzZ-UaLCZyntkfo8K&fref=mentions&__xts__[0]=68.ARDEzq5yptOGTLF_GCfWiluEXB2LGytWaXjrA_zIgdYmOMwUY8JBCZWKNBjLCIQqH7gISBZEQw7n8s5JShJ2_Weqrn2AwCVTGb971U4RrcAongEDEJjoz9ccLqsvUJ-VR-QWYv6GVvsXjJCUa2mdjiPTvIfb41QDkEGXqJjFqzXlu-0V6Xc_eGzH4XPsootn6-tBNgXSHjUylylRdbfANtM--_3dGJst_LtLDkbJYnmm-aHP9MuCOSrXXQiAo6Hk_AH5DdQl2k_Qg0UGZxVYBSgk-Ar0yXPg_SyLlQ7XYzNatpU-yU3W-PsZcd7pDiKrYYaNoDkuZhq2yopAMUffA0Jz0OC-I92aVp-3NyAR1hpfMsV4
Awesome. What will your role be?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 03:18:34 pm »
Head Brewer! Hopefully will be eventually overseeing several locations. When it is open you and Dwain must come have a beer with me!