Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two years ago today a glass carboy nearly killed me  (Read 851 times)

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Two years ago today a glass carboy nearly killed me
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 12:49:33 pm »
Ryan, what a harsh experience and one that I'm so glad you are now able to share for the reminder to us all that homebrewers and safety is a BIG deal.

I realize it's after the fact, but...there always is a next time. Here are some resources the AHA has published over the years with preventative practices as a priority. PLEASE all check these out. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/?s=safety

Cheers, stay safe all,
Julia
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 02:57:39 pm »
... 1 gallon jugs for small batches
I have a number of the 1.4 gal "Little BMBs" from NB that I bought from 2017 to 2018.  When I move one for any reason, I put them in a busboy tray first.   

If I were to replace them, it would be with two gallon pails - as most batches in the '12 pack' range don't 'go bad' (oxidation, ...) within 4 weeks of bottle conditioning.   I also have a 3 gal narrow neck plastic carboy that I use for most of my brewing. 

---------------

Bottles: I bottle condition with re-purposed commercial craft bottles.  As part of preparation for bottling, I check the bottles for hair-line cracks (hold the bottle up to a light source and slowly rotate the bottle).  In the 2020s, I occasionally recycle a bottle when I see a hair-line crack. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 11:57:52 am »
I sold all mine today with the exception of a 3 gallon.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 12:33:14 pm »
I sold all mine today with the exception of a 3 gallon.

Good job
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2024, 02:46:22 pm »
...I know you might just brush this whole thing off as a consequence of doing something stupid, lack of common sense, that this hobby is perfectly safe as long as proper precautions are taken....

I, at least, wouldn't brush it off as anything like that.  You made exactly the same sort of split-second decision that we've all made.  Human beings are notoriously bad at making risk decisions under time constraints; that's why the best way to control risk is to eliminate it or physically engineer it out of the system.  I don't understand why anyone even sells large glass carboys for homebrewing anymore when there are so many safer alternatives.

I started brewing at an older age when I was beginning to have balance and other medical issues. 

One of the decisions I made to reduce the risk of severe burns from hot water is to use brew-in-a bag single infusion mashes.

Cold water into the S/S brew pot, heat with LP to strike temp, turn heat off and cover for an hour while the enzymes split the carbon chains, lift bag with small pulley system to reduce stress on back while draining as much wort as possible, heat to boil for an hour, turn off heat and use immersion chiller to cool wort to minimum of 80 F before turning the spigot handle to drain the kettle.  I still had the minimal risk of splats from boil overs, but otherwise the hottest water I handled was in 100F  range in the sink to mix PBW.

Yeah, I got less efficiency with BIAB, but to me reducing the hot water risk was worth it. 

Now if I could just figure out how to drink enough beer to be able to make all the brews I read about and all the variations on recipes I'd like to brew while reducing the risk to making my liver as hard as the granite in Yosimite's Half Dome and haing
my waistline take up two zip codes.

Suggestions anyone?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2024, 10:45:46 am »
A bit belated but just wanted to express my thanks to everyone and the kind sentiments expressed in this thread! Ours is a wonderful supportive community, so in hindsight I really shouldn't have felt the hesitation I did to share my story.

Very glad to see that some are getting rid of their glass carboys - again, something I should've done myself a long time ago because mine is hardly the first glass carboy ER visit that there has been (although maybe I win the dubious distinction of being the worst? Go me! /s).

Well, I still love homebrewing and haven't stopped, much to my wife's chagrin. She's somewhat appeased by me sticking to plastic buckets, and once I recover from my one main lingering symptom from this accident, my unemployment, I will likely invest in some stainless fermenters and glycol chillers.

For now, though, plastic all the way!