Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 71135 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1065 on: February 19, 2019, 03:41:58 PM »
I typically never go on the first taste alone. I'm only gonna hit this one more time ice cold before letting it warm up. Ice cold it was certainly a pass, but why would anyone drink Scotch ice cold?

Fixed it for you.

In truth, I'll drink it on occasion.  Just not often and not my first choice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 19, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
I typically never go on the first taste alone. I'm only gonna hit this one more time ice cold before letting it warm up. Ice cold it was certainly a pass, but why would anyone drink Scotch ice cold?

Fixed it for you.

In truth, I'll drink it on occasion.  Just not often and not my first choice.

To each their own!  That's kind of how I feel about Irish whiskey.

I was trying to pick up the January release of Elijah Craig barrel proof but struck out.  Any semi-rare bourbons are impossible to find these days.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 08, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
Had the pleasure of trying Knob Creek Twice Barreled Rye. In a word...delicious. I'll be picking up a bottle soon.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • View Profile
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #1068 on: March 18, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
For St Patrick's Day I picked up a bottle of The Irishman Founder's Reserve.  The label designates it as 70% Single Malt and 30% Single Pot Still.  Looking at the Walsh Whiskey website there's also a 100% single malt version plus a couple special ones like Rum Cask, Sherry Cask etc. The Founders was the only one available at our store.

Tried it three ways, first neat, then in an Old Fashioned and then blended with Irish Cream.

Neat was the winner, which wasn't a surprise.  It's incredibly smooth, clean flavor with just a touch of alcohol burn and a sweet brown sugar type finish that I find common in Irish whiskey.

It was OK in the Old Fashioned but it wasn't remarkable, and the Irish cream overpowered it to the point you couldn't tell it was there, which is just dangerous even for the 13% Wine based cream you can get at a grocery store versus the 25-30% whiskey made stuff you have to get at the liquor store.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »
I really like it and tend to pick up a bottle whenever it goes on sale.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!