Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 149628 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Babalu
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2010, 07:09:13 am »
Great news, thanks Frank.

After he's fully recovered we'll have to take up a collection to get him to San Diego for the NHC. :)

Great idea!  

I agree with that idea too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:45:33 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2010, 08:25:20 am »
2nd Update 9/19/2010

Jeff opened his eyes and was blinking today completely on his own for 10 minutes. This time he appeared to be tracking objects.  He was also moving his thumb around and appeared to be irritated and was squirming around a bit in bed.  Looks like the steroids might be working their magic.  Let's hope and pray this is true.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Donate to Jeff via Paypal

Good Stuff!  I had a dunkelweizen yesterday (from Jeff's recipe) - it must be responsible for this good news.  I should take the day off and drink some more.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:31:33 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »
Update: 9/20/2010

Jeff had another pretty good day.  He opened his eyes and was blinking on his own a number of times since the last update, but not as long as he did yesterday.  He's been reacting to his wife's voice and looking in her direction when she talks to him when his eyes are open.  He doesn't seem to care much for the doctors' or the nurses' voices, just his wife's.   One time he appeared to be looking all around his room, like he was trying to figure out where the hell he was.  While doing that his heart rate and breathing increased quite a bit, as if he figured it out and was nervous about it.  His wife called his name and he looked in her direction and seemed to calm down and then close his eyes again.  He also seemed to be moving around in his bed at least once.  

Not related to the previous incident, but in general, his heart rate is back down to normal.  It's been elevated the whole time, which doctors attributed to his brain swelling.  So maybe the steroids are actually eliminating the swelling.  He'll only be on the steroids for about another two days. So let's hope they do their job and have lasting benefits.

The staff said they were pleased with his improvements over the last couple days and now they're talking about moving him straight to rehab, and not the LTAC.  This is good news or could be bad news.  Insurance will only allow him 60 days of rehab.  So Jeff's family is nervous about sending him so soon,  in case he's not ready for it.  They don't want to waste any days, since nobody knows how long rehab will take.

So once again my friends, I'm asking for another blast of positive energy and prayers.  Let's help Jeff to improve exponentially and be able to take advantage of the early rehab.   Maybe with our help and the skill of his medical staff he won't come close to needing 60 days for rehab.

For those of you who have generously donated to the fund that Jeff's family has set up, I thank you, Jeff's family thanks you and his wife thanks you form the bottom of their hearts.  For those of you who haven't donated, for whatever reason, please reconsider.  The medical bills are mounting, his wife's out of work and Jeff will soon be only collecting a percentage of his salary from disability insurance.

Take care, thank you and keep praying.

------------------------------------------
Donate to Jeff via PayPal
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:32:06 pm by frankw »

beveragebob

« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »
It sounds like he's on his way within his own time frame. I commend his wife for her stamina and I think we are going to have a made for TV movie on Lifetime here with all the proceeds going to the family. This should happen!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:32 am »
Thanks for the updates Frank!!  This is the first post I check on all the forums when I log in.  Prayers & good vibes continue for Jeff & family!!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:42 pm »
Im predicting a full recovery in record time.

Cant wait till babalu can log back in.

I keep seeing his posts in old threads and for a second I think it is him with a recent post.

He is missed.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:37 pm »
He is missed.

He certainly is missed, but I have a feeling he'll be back sooner than later.  ;)
Ron Price

boulderbrewer

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »
As a guy who lives in a Mosquito land this hits home. Babalu you get better. I like the news. Don't forget to help out please donate to the fund.

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2010, 02:12:39 pm »
Update: 9/22/2010

Not a whole lot to report.  More opening his eyes on his own, more looking at his wife, more yawning and now a bit of what appears to be stretching his legs.  They've been adjusting his bed so that he's in a semi-sitting position for periods of time.  No signs of seizure lately, cultures they've taken to check for infection have all come back negative, his white blood cell count is good and his blood sugar is normal  The steroids could have caused some problems with this blood sugar, but it appears they didn't.   He's now off the steroids.

There's still been some discussion with the medical staff, the LTAC, the rehab and the insurance folks about where and when they'll be moving him.  That should hopefully be cleared up shortly.

That's it for now.

Please keep praying and keep the positive thoughts and energy coming.

------------------------------------------
Donate to Jeff via PayPal

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »
Really tics me off how the insurance companies have the ability to say how long the rehab can take. WTF biting my lip.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2010, 02:57:23 pm »
Really tics me off how the insurance companies have the ability to say how long the rehab can take. WTF biting my lip.

+1...

Get well soon, Jeff.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:03 pm »
+1 on insurance...

I'm new to the forum and I don't know Jeff but my thoughts and heart go out to him and his family.

Frank, my thoughts and admiration to you. You have a living testament to what friendship is all about.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:57 pm »
C'Mon Babalu!  Hockey season is around the corner and I'm surrounded by Habs fans  :'(

Frank, please let Jeff know that Boston scored 4 goals on 10 shots on Carey Price tonight.  I know its only pre-season, but I know his ears are working and hopefully that will spur a reaction.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2010, 05:49:15 pm »
Hey Frank,

I got to thinking about a way to get a response from Jeff.  Has anyone tried holding some hops under his nose, or simply opening a can or a bottle of beer near him?  If that doesn't wake up a homebrewer, I don't know what will.  Anyway, talk to him about brewing and beers, etc.  The homebrewer inside will struggle to get out!

Come on, Jeff!  Wake up and smell the hops!  You can do it, we know you can.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »
Janis, I had thought along the same lines this AM, but did not post.  My vote is to talk about brewing, Oktoberfest, and the fresh hops.  Under the nose with some hand rubbed hops is something I didn't think of.  Great idea.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!