Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 149097 times)

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
Re: Babalu
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:29 pm »
I had an awesome visit with Jeff today.  When I arrived he was sitting in a wheelchair and had just returned from Occupational Therapy.  His therapist said he did a great job and that he had Speech Therapy at 1 and Occupational Therapy at 2:00 PM.  He was awake and alert. I asked him how he was doing. He responded in a pretty loud voice with “pretty good.”  I got to spend the next hour and a half with him one on one.  We were able to have a real conversation.  I was able to hear and understand almost everything he was saying.  Although he had a couple times where either I couldn’t understand what he was saying or what he was saying didn’t quite fit into the conversation.  But overall he was doing great.

I told him I was dragging his ass to the National Homebrew Convention in June in San Diego.  I asked him if it was OK and he said. “Yeah that’s OK.”  So I told him he needed to brew something and enter it into the Nationals, and I said it would be great if he won it this time.  He said, “that would be nice.”

I asked him what we should brew. “Bass.”  I said, we should brew a Bass clone?  “Yeah, a Bass clone.”  What else should we brew I asked.  “Maybe a Porter or something like that.”  I said, maybe we should brew your Baltic Porter, that was a good one.  “Yeah, Baltic Porter sounds good.”  I told him that wouldn’t be a problem, but he had to keep up the hard work and himself the hell out of there.  “Yeah, I know.”

We talked a little more about the brew club and brewing.  Then his wife and her Dad showed up.  She asked Jeff to look and see who she had with her.  “Who’s this Jeff?”  He responded with “The brewmaster?”  “No Jeff, look at him, who is he?”  He said some other name which I didn’t understand.  Finally she told him it was her Dad.  She brought up a story about not knowing that her Dad swore until Jeff told her about them golfing together.  She asked if he remembered golfing with her Dad and he said, “a couple of times.”  Her Dad mentioned that he did it because golfing was a frustrating game.  Jeff smiled and nodded and said “these things happen.”

Then it was time for his Speech Therapy.  I don’t know why they call it that.  The therapist asked him a series of questions that she asks each day and they grade the responses on a scale.  Today he scored two points higher than yesterday.   She then fed him some ice chips, asked him some more questions and fed him some applesauce.  He did great with both of them.  Then she asked if he wanted to try feeding himself.  She asked if he was a righty or a lefty.  He responded, “righty, lefty, either way.”
He was able to feed himself with his left hand and need some help with the right.  She told hos wife that she would notify his nurses that she could feed him ice chips whenever he wanted.  She asked Jeff if he liked chocolate pudding, his response was calm, quiet, “yes.”  Then she asked if he liked mashed potatoes, a resounding “YES!” was his answer.  Looks like he’s only a few days away from real food.

All in all it was a great visit.  I’m really thrilled with his progress from just a few weeks ago.  Word is that he’s been green lighted to continue his rehab, at least for now.

I know the holiday season is in full swing and we all have a lot going on, but please take a little time to keep Jeff and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:50:08 pm by frankw »

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »
Great news,
Thanks Frank.

Kai

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:46 pm »
Awesome news Frank! If we don't hear from you again before Christmas you and yours have a merry one. And Jeff - fight the good fight brother!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2010, 03:53:28 am »
Fantastic news! The very best to date. I'm so happy for him.

Thanks Frank!
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:24 am »
Sounds like a WOOT is in order. That's really good news Frank!!! Setting goals is usually a good motivator. I sure hope Jeff is thinking the same!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »
Great news! Continued thoughts and prayers to Jeff and his family.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »
Frank, I have never meet Jeff.  This post makes me really hope that I can meet him at the NHC.  If he makes it there, he will find many friends he does not know that he now has.

Please keep the update coming.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

boulderbrewer

« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »
Very good news and thanks.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:54 am »
Very happy to hear that Jeff is making good progress, such a long road to recovery.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »
Great news.
Keep it coming.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #340 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:23 pm »
I always look forward to seeing the good news.
I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in San Diego
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2010, 03:18:55 pm »
Great to hear! Tell him Weaze says to keep it up!  We're all with him.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2010, 10:23:34 am »
A friend of Jeff and I asked me to forward this:
--------------------------------------------------------------

update 12/19

We had an awsome visit with Jeff yesterday. When we arrived he was in the soloriam sitting up in his wheelchair watching the colts game and looking around at the million dollar view of Boston and all the circling roadways and traffic.

Jeff was fully awake the whole time eyes wide open. He was very responsive to questions. He was very clear speaking some times, other times it was difficult to understand him. He was moving both arms and squeezing a pillow.

We talked about getting him better to go camping. He responded clearly (That would be good)

I asked him if he was looking forward to Christmas. He responded clearly (Next Year)

He told me he wants to go home.

At one point his nurse Nicole came in and Jeff tried to tell her something but it was not clear. She told him to take his time that she was listening. He repeated again but we still could not make it out.  When she left the room he said to Mamie and I very clearly (she can't hear anything ) in a frustrated funny sarcastic tone.  It made me see that good ole Jeff  still has his personality intact.  It was great to see.

The Therapists are working to gain strength in his legs. They gradually stand him upright and let his feet touch the floor to feel some weight. Working toward getting him to be strong enough to support his weight.

He seamed to be trying to move his right arm to get more motion out of it.

I told him it is hard work all the physical therapy. (he said yes)
I told him to keep up the good work.

Jeff was wide awake eyes open from when his parents and Maureen arrived in Am and still wanted to sit in his chair in his room when we left after the colts game after 4. We asked if he wanted to get into bed
to get some rest and he told us (No)

He said "bye" when we left

It was such a positive uplifting visit to see the improvements.

The prayers are working keep them up.   

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:52 am »
Awesome news,

Come on Jeff,  keep it up,  keep it coming, see if you can make it to the NHC if not this year, next.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2010, 10:31:34 am »
Wow, awesome stuff!  Keep it up, Jeff & thanks once again for all the updates Frank.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada