Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 149074 times)

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Babalu
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:21 am »
Frank,

Thanks for letting us know.  I'm sure these changes in Jeff's condition have been extremely disheartening for all of you who have been taking care of him.  My thoughts are with Jeff and his family, including you.  Keep fighting the good fight, Jeff!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #361 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »
Wishing the best for Jeff and his family.  8)

Keep the faith!
Ron Price

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #362 on: January 06, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »
Jeff is once again back at Rehab.  They now believe one of his meds was causing the liver inflammation and elevated counts.  They're adjusting his meds to try and get things back to normal.  Apparently the gall stones are not causing any issues. 

Hopefully the med changes will get him back on track.  Thanks for the prayers and positive thoughts.  Keep 'em up.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #363 on: January 06, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »
C'mon Jeff! Been planning a night out with the gang tonight. I'll get the whole group to
toast to Jeff tonight.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #364 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
I read every post in this thread but I never know what to say.  I can't imagine what this ordeal has been like for Jeff and his family and wish them the best.  Just gave another little charge to the paypal fund.  It's not much but I hope it helps.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »
Well,  Jeff is once again back at Rehab.  He went back to the hospital last week for some scheduled tests and he began vomiting while he was there.  They readmitted him and checked him out and found that he had another urinary tract infection, along with the other infection he had been fighting.  They've been treating him all week and his white blood cell and liver counts are back down to the normal range.  So they transferred him back to Rehab this afternoon.

He was actually very alert today and talking to his nurses and parents.

Let's all hope that this little slowdown is finally over and he'll quickly get back to making big some real progress in his rehab.

Frank

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #366 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:05 pm »
Thanks for the update frank!!  I truly admire Jeff's stamina and perseverance!  I hope to meet him someday! Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #367 on: January 21, 2011, 02:18:33 am »
Raising a Cascadain Dark, or IBA for Jeff. Cheers mate. I hope you are kicking some butt and
taking names.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »
Well we've finally got some good news to report.  I got a text on Thursday from his wife saying that Jeff was having a great day, almost as good a day as he was having just before Christmas.  I called her and she told me he had just had a good OT session, catching a ball that they were throwing to him.  Reaching out for the ball and having good movement and coordination in both arms.  He also had a good speech therapy session.  Answering most of the questions correctly and the ones he was unsure on, he quickly gave the correct answer with a a hint or two. They also brought him some stuff to eat.  Ground up London broil, which Jeff said was "horrible."  They also had some butternut squash, which was "gross."  And some mashed potatoes that were "OK."  The speech therapist also approved him to start eating soft foods, meaning anything you can cut with a fork.  So he can start having some real food now.

After speech therapy his wife took out the laptop and asked him if he wanted to look at some pictures.  She gave him the laptop and they started to look through them.  Jeff put his finger on the correct mouse button and clicked his way through the pictures.  his wife also said he identified most of the people in the pictures.

I don't know how yesterday went, but he had another great day today.  My phone rang a couple hours ago and it was was Jeff on the other end.  We had a quick conversation told him it looked like Green Bay was in and Jeff agreed and I then said I couldn't believe I'd be rooting for the Steelers later tonight, he replied "yeah, I know."  I had a hard time hearing/understand everything he said, but it was good to talk to him.

His brother went in to see him this morning and I guess they had a good visit.  Later when his wife arrived to visit she asked how his brother was, he replied "large and in charge," which definitely describes Jeff's brother.  

Please continue to keep Jeff in your thoughts and prayers and lets hope this is the start of a long series of positive news.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:27:18 pm by frankw »

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »
really awesome news!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In my thoughts and prayers
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #370 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:46 pm »
That's great news! Looking forward to much more!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #371 on: January 23, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
Thank you for the Great News.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15:39 am »
Great stuff!
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:22 am »
I then said I couldn't believe I'd be rooting for the Steelers later tonight, he replied "yeah, I know."

You're not the only ones but seeing Rex Ryan slam his headset down made it all worth it.  :D

Thanks for the updates and best wishes for continued recovery for Jeff!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:07 am »
Thanks for the update Frank!!  Can't wait for Jeff to start posting his own updates..  Hopefully soon..  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!