Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 149508 times)

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
Re: Babalu
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:01 pm »
I got a call from Jeff's wife today.  She was excited to share some good news.  Jeff has had a great week.  His gall bladder infection is gone and they'll start to think about when the want to remove it soon.  

He's back to making small daily progress in speech, occupational and physical therapy.  In speech, he's now answering questions in more complete sentences.  Instead of answering the question "what are you doing" with "sitting."  He's now answering "I'm sitting in this chair."  Or when asked what he likes to make at home, "I like to make beer."   Another thing he's doing is, rather than just giving an answer that doesn't make sense, he's started to say, "I don't know, or "I don't remember."  They are also able to keep him engaged in speech therapy for much longer time periods now.  By the way, he's making all this progress without the heavy duty neural stimulant he was on, they've discontinued that one.   He is still taking a much milder stimulant, one that he's been on all along.

Today in PT they had him sitting up and they were essentially trying to push him over, trying to test his balance and upper body control.  He managed to stay upright.   Something he previously wans't so good at.  He's also back on the path toward eating real food again.

Something to note here.  With each of the infection related setbacks he's had, his progress in therapy has taken a pretty hard hit.  Each time it happens he has to work his way back to where he was.  So you may be thinking to yourself, gee I thought he was already doing that.   Well the answer is yes, he was already doing it.  Now the good news is that he is doing it again.    

It just goes to show you how much of a fighter Jeff really is.  

We're headed in the right direction again!  Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers.  I still have no doubt that Jeff will be back.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:14:16 pm by frankw »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #421 on: April 05, 2011, 04:09:39 pm »
Thank you for all the updates.  It's great to hear he's making good progress.  We (me, wife, kids) mention him often even though none of us really know him.  Let him know strangers really do care.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »
Thanks for the positive update, Frank!
It sounds like Jeff is making progress again; that's fabulous news!

Keep working, Jeff!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:16 pm »
Nice! I like to make beer too...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »
Best news to date. This is fabulous Frank. Keep us posted.

Thanks!  8)
Ron Price

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
Awesome! Sending more good juju...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »
Go Jeff! You rock man!!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
This is one of the most incredible tales of human endurance I have ever heard. This man has survived where others would have failed. I'm constantly awed by the Grand Design.

I hope to be able to meet him in person one day.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:07 am »
This is a great update Frank! As Tubercle said, I too am awed by the Grand Design and also hope to meet Jeff in person some day.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2011, 10:43:16 am »
Great news, Frank!  Always glad to hear that Jeff really is doing well for all he's been through.  He is in our thoughts and prayers.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:20 am »
Indeed, what an ordeal. Wouldn't even wish on anyone...
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2011, 08:10:13 am »
Great news!

Frank, if you read through the postings in this thread (or someone from Jeff's family - or even Jeff).  I'd really like to know what Babalu thinks of the potential Habs-Bruins first round matchup  ;)
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:08 am »
Swell news, indeed!  Keep moving forward, Jeff!
Jesse

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #433 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »
A quick update from our friend Brian:

Hi all,
Jeff had a really nice day today and I wanted to update folks. He's had some issues with his gall bladder recently and ended up having it removed on Tuesday. I know that doesn't sound like "good news" but he is recoverying from the surgery really well and actually had a physical therapy session today, less than 48 hours from the procedure. From what I saw today, he isn't showing any of the "set-back" that he's gone through with previous problems, which is a huge positive.

The big news is that Jeff has speech therapy once a day and during these sessions he gets, basically, a cognitive test to test his memory, logic, etc. He's been stuck at a certain level for a number of months but in this morning's test, his scores went up dramatically. His speech therapist was practically getting choked up telling Jeff's mom and me about it earlier today. This is huge news as it means that a bunch of additional switches in his brain basically clicked on.

I know they are clicking on because we webcasted the consecration brew this past Saturday and then I went in and saw him on Monday.

"hey... So you watched us make all of that beer huh?
"yeah"
"ya think we made enough with the 120 gallons"
"yeah"
"do you remember what kind of beer it was?"
"a group brew"
"yeah, but what kind of beer?"
"consecration"

These aren't answers he would have come out with even a few weeks ago so hopefully he is starting to break through and is going to start making some bigger leaps in progress.

Lastly..... THANK YOU again to the folks that sent pictures. The little "movie" that was put together was a hit so if anyone has any other pictures of club events or even just good pictures of club members, I'll put another slideshow together and get it to him. The more familiar faces he can lay eyes on, the better.... Especially now that he seems to be making strides.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #434 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53:52 pm »
Really good news Frank...it's been an uphill battle for Jeff but it's great to hear this positive report.

Wishing the best for Jeff and his family.

Thanks for the update.
Ron Price