Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 148866 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Babalu
« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
Wow, that's encouraging.  What a battle...
Jesse

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2011, 07:16:11 pm »
Now that is very cool!  8)
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #467 on: June 08, 2011, 08:01:31 am »
It's quite encouraging to see Jeff making such great progress. Hopefully all the setbacks behind him his recovery will be exponential from here on. Cheers Jeff!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #468 on: June 24, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
Jeff is now at the Neuro-Rehab Center here in his home town.

I had an awesome visit with Jeff today.

I got there and his wife and son were there.  Jeff was assembling a little NASCAR car.  His son made me do one too.  Between my sausage fingers and my old man eyes, it wasn't easy.  Jeff was doing better than me.    After a little bit his wife mentioned that they had some cards.  I busted them out and started playing poker with Jeff.  He knew exactly what to do, no hesitation, no confusion.  Mind you, I'm pretty sure he hasn't played any poker since he got sick.  After a few hands, I shuffled the cards and handed them to him.  He dealt out 5 cards each.  His wife and I just looked at each other and smiled. The rest of the hands, I shuffled and he dealt.  We played for about a half an hour, he kicked my ass.

This afternoon at PT he walked 170 feet, rested for a few minutes.  Then he walked 130 feet then rested.  He followed that up with 20 minutes on the recumbent bike with resistance set at 8 out of 10. 

He's still having trouble finding the right words and gets frustrated by it.  Like, he couldn't always name the correct cards, but while playing, he knew which cards to hold and which to discard.   With continued speech therapy, this is something he should be able to overcome.

Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #469 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:54 pm »
Thats a giant +1 Thanks for the update.  With the present weather and extra water,
the skeeters are pretty thick this year....grrrrrr....we have to contend with west nile here...
That is prolly similar all this has made me so conscience of the threat .......

Edit: FWIW we watched "Under Our Skin" a PBS  Documentary that is very very eye opening.
http://www.underourskin.com/
If ya have ever been bitten by a tick, perhaps you should view this film
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:39:10 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

narvin

« Reply #470 on: June 24, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »
That's fantastic. After all the fighting he's done, it's great when we hear progress like this.  Here's hoping it continues.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #471 on: June 25, 2011, 08:34:32 am »
That's great news Frank!  Do you think you could convince Jeff to give us all a post on the forums? Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #472 on: June 25, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »
Excellent news Frank!

I'm really happy to see his progression. I wish the best for him.

Thanks.  :)
Ron Price

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #473 on: June 29, 2011, 03:49:20 pm »
Jeff continues to make good steady progress.

Here's another followup article about him:  http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110629/NEWS/106290337&cid=sitesearch
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:17:09 pm by dbeechum »

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:01 am »
Excellent article!  Thanks for sharing it with us Frank!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2011, 10:40:48 am »
Very positive article. He's making good progress. Thanks Frank!
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2011, 11:04:43 am »
Thanks for the updates Frank.  I didn't read back in this thread but did he get to watch the Bruins win the Stanley Cup or see the parade from the hospital window?

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #477 on: July 04, 2011, 09:11:04 am »
Sending some positive vibes Jeff's way today as I brew a dampfbier.  Diese dampfbier ist für Sie!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #478 on: July 27, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »
Hey guys/gals.

Sorry for not keeping you updated lately.  July's been crazy.  I had a couple weeks vacation and then we just got back from a longer than expected hospital stay with my daughter.  Minor surgery to correct a problem she had.  We're back home now, she's good and things are returning to normal.

I haven't seen Jeff in a couple weeks either.  Talked to his wife last week and he's still making progress.  One highlight to report.  Two weeks ago our brew club had it's annual pig roast.   275 lb hog and 28 beers on tap.  Anyway, back to the important stuff.  Jeff showed up for a couple hours, much to the delight of all the club members and friends.  It was a bit torturous for him, not being cleared to start drinking.  He did have a good time though. Although, he managed to sneak a couple sips.  His first sip was a 12.7% Barley Wine that one of the members set down beside him.  I looked over to see him taking a sip and sort of shocked look came over his face, then he grimaced a bit.  I walked over and asked him how it was.  He smiled, and said "brutal."  Then we both laughed.   I guess he should have warmed up with something a bit lighter.

Here's a pic of him perusing

the beer list

I'll get over to see him tomorrow and report back.

Take care.

Frank

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #479 on: July 27, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
Wow, that's a pic I'm sure most of us have been hoping for. Very cool to see this. Continued well wishes for Jeff and his family!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member