Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why do we use Irish Moss?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Why do we use Irish Moss?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 07:11:27 pm »
No one has yet said " The dose makes the poison".
As far as I got down the rabbit hole, there's no poison to be found, no matter the dose. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 07:21:46 pm »
As far as I got down the rabbit hole, there's no poison to be found, no matter the dose.

A large enough dose of water is fatal, no poison there.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 07:24:41 pm »

A large enough dose of water is fatal, no poison there.
That's true.  And it's even more ominous if you call it oxidane. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 08:42:33 am »

I was just on my way here to say that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 03:39:35 pm »
I stopped using IM a few years back. In my opinion, I believe it to be a needless additive. Whirlpool for 20 minutes, cool and off to ferm tank. No perceived difference that I have noticed or could even tell. FWIW, I didn't stop using it based on any internet rubbish. I just stopped.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 04:26:53 pm »
Since it’s for removing haze promoters, I doubt that most brewers would find a perceptible taste difference. Maybe a bit more haze, but conditioning can resolve that.

I still use IM. Did you know that the dosage should be in proportion to wort gravity?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 04:49:49 pm »
I still use IM. Did you know that the dosage should be in proportion to wort gravity?

I still use it also, having returned to it from Whirlfloc.  I didn't know about proportionality to wort gravity.  I believe it is also supposed to be re-hydrated, but I toss it in dry.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 06:20:15 pm »
Being a seaweed, it may be the inherent iodine in Irish Moss that is related to at least some of the OP's list of potential human maladies.

Iodine is an essential mineral. If you don't get enough you develop goiter. Nuff said!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 06:43:00 am »

I still use it also, having returned to it from Whirlfloc.  I didn't know about proportionality to wort gravity.  I believe it is also supposed to be re-hydrated, but I toss it in dry.

I do the same.  Mostly because I'm lazy and I've never looked for reasons not to just dump in the IM dry.  It always seemed redundant to re-hydrate it and then dump it into 5 gallons of liquid.  I can be taught if there are reasons.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline TROHNER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 12:02:42 am »
Not that i'm overly concerned, but i only used Irish Moss in my early brewing days.
I do step mashes with a 15 minutes protein rest and don't see the need for Irish Moss.
I didn't like the smell of it, but thought it was essential, because it was in the receipe.
In the meantime, i brewed some 20'000 litres of beer and don't see the need of it.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 10:21:59 am »
I stopped using IM a few years back. In my opinion, I believe it to be a needless additive. Whirlpool for 20 minutes, cool and off to ferm tank. No perceived difference that I have noticed or could even tell. FWIW, I didn't stop using it based on any internet rubbish. I just stopped.
+1 - one less thing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:26:26 am »
+1 - one less thing!

I've  forgotten the IM in a few batches recently and I think I can tell the difference.  Hard to say for certain since it wasn't a split batch.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19:38 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't IM and Whirlfloc basically the same thing?  I have always been under that impression and the interwebs say that Whirlfloc is a compressed mixture of IM and carrageenan which confirms my point.  Am I missing something?

I use Whirlfloc because it not as messy to measure out.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 11:25:45 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't IM and Whirlfloc basically the same thing?  I have always been under that impression and the interwebs say that Whirlfloc is a compressed mixture of IM and carrageenan which confirms my point.  Am I missing something?

I use Whirlfloc because it not as messy to measure out.

Yep.  Whirlfloc is IM with a caking agent.  IIRC, IM IS caragennan. I've heard some people say that they think Whirlfloc is more effective than IM, but I don't think it's ever been verified.  I certainly find the 2 to be equal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 11:29:01 am »
So if I BIAB and end up transferring all (or almost all) of the trub into the fermenter, what have I gained by using IM/Whirlfloc in the boil?